The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if anyone has done a diesel conversion into a '77 scout. I found one cheap and it has a V8 gasser:damnit I'm wondering if a cummins would fit? :smoke 5.9 of course:bow: . other options could be considered but all info would be great i know nothing of this vehicle!!! please give me anything!!!

·
1,836 Posts
Scout had a diesel - 110 hp from Japan.

A 6BT is a little long but a 4BT is close to the right length and weight and has close to the same HP but can be turned up.

keydl

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
it was a 6cyl nissan SD33T i beleive, i had to put a head gasket on one that was in an 80 scout II

·
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Info please

what power numbers are we talking? and what would be a good location/donor for a engine? any possibility of the 5.9? or any links to a scout forum/info? thanks

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
i say just put one of them nissan diesels in, there 110 horse for the SD33T and about 80 for the SD33, there a 3.2 litre, you can find them in forkliftsand once in a while there on ebay or craigslist, you can turn them up a little bit, they got a bosch A-pump, its actually called diesel kiki but thats just bosch japan, the 5.9 would be a tough fit in that scout

·
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4bt

What does anyone know of the 4bt fitting? lookin for 300ish hp and 500ish TQ
anyone know any links for scout forums or other related places of info? thanks

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
I don't think the 5.9 would fit, but I don't see why a 4BT wouldn't fit... I think it'd be sweet.

·
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all

What kind of donor vehicle would have a 4bt or another place to get them? I believe it is a 6bt minus to cylinders. true? What kind of fuel pump is on those? could i use a 7100 modified to run less lines or is there a big 4bt aftermarket? thanks again!!

·
TDG Mafia Member #56
2,050 Posts
I don't think it will work like that. The firing order is different, so the cam is different and the injection pump injects the fuel at different times as the 6b. You will be better off finding a used 4bt. I have seen them on ebay for around 2k.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
there was inline pump 4bt's harder to find then the rotory ones, best place is in a frito lay van, they got gm 700r4 behind them and some have NP435 4spd sticks

·
1,836 Posts
The step vans often have bad transmissions and the aluminum bodies scrap for fair money leaving a steel frame and duals axle to get rid of.

keydl

·
Registered
2 Posts
so is the 4BT a long block or do they make them in a short block as well? Starting my research on this to convert my 1997 3.3 pathfinder, all info is being gathered here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts