The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to get a 6.4 can someone tell me what im geting myself into
what problems have yall had:read:read:read

·
606 Posts
I think the search button will be your friend. Most problems are with the radiators and some egr valves. The 6.4 is a strong motor and with some mods under 2000.00 you have a bunch of HP.

·
362 Posts
I am looking at an 08 Myself and may soon have it, I have had a Cummins and Duramax and this will be My First Ford Diesel if I can get, I am looking forward to it, They all have their issues/problems. I been wanting to get back into a Diesel Truck and have been looking at some for a while now.

·
1,415 Posts
Mosty rads, and belt tensioners for me. Just blew my EGR coolers up last week just about fixed and back up and running. I just deleted them as the tuning as had it turned off for along time.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just picked up an '08 Reg Cab with 20k on it. The Oasis reports shows that the radiator has been replaced twice along with the Venturi T and some PCM re-flashes.

182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not looking to have another daily driven race truck lol
ill probly just do a intake dpf gone and probly just edge

·
186 Posts
Try to get a 2008 job 3 or later and it should have most of the potential issues already taken care of.

Keep close tabs on the coolant nitrite levels (test with specified test strips), in the latest Ford information this should now be checked every 6 months on normal service vehicles. Previously it was only listed under "special service" as and every 20k test.

The primary issue seen from coolant nitrite issues is cavitation damage to engine cover that backs the coolant pump. It appears there is now a redesigned cover out that may resolve the cavitation issue (Updated front engine cover thread in this forum). I expect we will hear more about it in the near future.

·
Rollin' Coal
379 Posts
leave it stock you will have less problems haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts