The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
gone fishin!
2,833 Posts
axle...

option #1 leafsprings, shackles, steering box, custom crossover links.... alot less measuring and exact fit... easyer to make up out of customs parts.have to build some sort of support bracket for the upper and lower links on the frame, custom link brackets on the axle, custom tracbar, custom cross over links. steering box, some sort of shock brackets and coil brackets... or coil overs ($$$$$$$$$$$$$)..... alot of math and agrivation to make it drive and track straight...... trust me i did one... its not easy!!!

cost???? depends how good you are at getting parts cheap....

axle-$500
tube and links for steering-$450
leaf springs-$300
steering box-$250-$500
brackets for springs and shocks-free to $300

4-link

same as above plus another $1500 to $2000 for extra steel and hardware and shocks and stuff....

i 4 linked both ends of my mud truck on a custom frame with coil overs on all 4 corners for about 7k in parts including rockwells and wheels.

option #2 4 link......

·
TDG Mafia Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its for a friend of mines truck, she is probly going to want some sort of kit. Doesnt have to be anything extreme like a 4 link. All she does is pull a horse trailer, but she wants a strait axle...if that helps any.

·
gone fishin!
2,833 Posts
there aint no kit for a straight axle convertion dude....... thats something one off!!! tell her to buy a ford or a dodge and get it over with! or just do what i did and have both!! LOL

·
TDG Mafia Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually it looks like Rock Krawler, Off Road Unlimited, and Pure Performance all make a conversion kit. And thats just what I found in the first 5 minutes.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Just curious as to why she would want to sacrifice ride when she doesn't need to, cognito makes all the parts to make the ifs bulletproof

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts
:whs

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
Actually it looks like Rock Krawler, Off Road Unlimited, and Pure Performance all make a conversion kit. And thats just what I found in the first 5 minutes.
Yes, the Rock Krawler/Pure Performance coil-over is a kit and runs around $3-4K. It is built around an AAM 9.25; not a Dana 60. I went through this a while back and started collecting parts. A good used AAM 9.25 can go from $600-1500 depending on condition. You still need the steering kit and that's another $600 for that. We didn't touch the rear yet and you'll be looking at another $600+ (probably more like $800) for a set of Deavers since the front will be up 7-9 inches. You will also need a slip-yoke eliminator kit and those goes for another $600. It's a pricey project which is why I never did mine.

·
gone fishin!
2,833 Posts
i know there are companys that make parts..... i was trying to say that there isnt a company out there that makes a bolt on kit....something like a lift kit.....and you need to know what you are doing to get the geometry right.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
That's why I suggest spending money on cognito parts instead, you can basically replace the whole front end with stronger parts for a whole lot less than converting, and most of them are basic replacement, just bolt up and forget, and it will still be stock height and still ride like a caddilac or better if you upgrade the shocks too :toytruck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts