The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Newbie here. I have a Prevost Bus Conversion with an 89 Silver DD 8v92 DDEC.

I have been thinking about the option of trying the B87 Biodiesel which I will likely have access to. Has there been any issues with using this type of thing in these engines?

Thanks.

Bryce

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In an old Mercedes sedan and a John Deere 950, it is running great with at least as much power as regular diesel. No actual data, but they are running as always remembered. In fact, there seems to be less knock...much quieter.

I'm not ready to try this in such a big, expensive engine unless I can be reasonably certain it is not going to mess it up.

Any advice/warnings would be greatly appreciated.

Bryce

·
183 Posts
Bryce---B87 is pretty concentrated.........I would'nt experiment with that, especially this time of year , unless you're ready to buy pour point depressors .......like gallons of Power service . By the time you buy that , how much farther ahead are you, or are you setting by the side of the road waiting for a tow . B 10 or B20 .....no problem ! And that 2 stroke fuel system is as simple as you can get and low cost also .

·
4,827 Posts
I won't touch even B11 in the winter. I can't keep it warm enough, with 270 gallons on board. Have to run more than a double dose of fuel additive to keep it from trying to gel. Have to replace fuel filters more often. I only get 7500-10k miles out of a water fuel seperator filter in the summer as it is.

·
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher
1,065 Posts
the other thing when you burn the B87 or other ratio's at first time expect to change fuel filter pretty often because you will pick up alot of gunk very fast.

i have past experanice with one generator burn on B20 dang it really clogged up pretty often first few hours of running time as soon the tank get clean up then it kinda clear up a bit so keep your eyes on filter more closer and get one of the marine bio thing that kill the alage stuff that what really kill alot of them.

Merci,Marc

·
Registered
596 Posts
The only issue you may have is with any natural rubber in the fuel system. We run biodiesel in about a dozen 92 DDEC and DDECII's.

Depending on what type of oil is used to make the biodiesel and whether it's commerically made ASTM spec fuel or home brew will change how well the fuel performs. Generally speaking you will not be able to tell a seat of the pants difference in power output between #2 and biodiesel as the BTU content between ULSD and Biodiesel is very small.

·
2,555 Posts
Beyond the filters issue,( Bio diesel cleans really well) You can run a smaller "day tank" that gets the return fuel as well as draws from the main tank this way the warmed fuel keeps the smaller tank fuel warm and helps elimate gelling and additives but is it worth the grief And as you probablly already know don't let any body talk you into a coarser filter (higher micron rating)
just my 2 cents
Jim

·
183 Posts
With any 2 stroke Detroit ,60 % or better fuel recirculates back to the tank , so gelling ,[with normal fuel], would'nt be as problematic .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts