The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my stroke started overheating a couple days ago with no visable leaks. I finally caught the leak in the act ad saw it spraying out of the cap. The parts department ended up reccomending me buy a new cap, the motor still overheated but didn't spray out of the cap. Anyway long story short the service department just called me and said the motor is dead. Honestly I didn't catch all he said, all I heard was excessive blow-by and $8k motor.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kansas City, MO

·
1,726 Posts
Did they do a compression test?

Definitley take it somewhere to get a second oppinion before dropping the money on a new engine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure what all test they did, like I said I stopped listening when they said the motor was done for. I'm planning on taking it to a diesel shop. Assuming a new motor is the only option what are your guy's suggestions? Would it be best to find another 7.3, convert to a 6.0, or try and find a cheap 5.9 cummins?
Thanks!

·
Diesel Pro
899 Posts
Depens on what your use it for or are planning on doinng with it. I killed my motor and ended up buying a 7.3 with 100,000 on it for $1800 with turbo and everyting. Now I wish I would of put the cummins in it like I was planning on doing. I bough another parts 7.3 from a guy who blew some rings and converted to a 6.0. Now he wants his motor back to he can rebuild it and convert back to the 7.3 cuz the 6.SLOW sucks and has way to many problems.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use it as a daily driver and occasionaly tow a skidsteer. Anyone know the bottom dollar on the parts to do the cummins conversion?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just called the shop back and the only answer he would give me is, "there is excessive blow-by causing pressure in the cooling system". This mean anything to anyone?
Thanks!

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
sounds like a head gasket or about ten other things take it somewhere else like IH/navistar

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So you think that an engine replacement is the cheapest fix or could I just fix what needs fixed?
Thanks!

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
first find out the problem i think its a head gasket but im not there i would have the cooling sys pressure tested i would not replace the motor if it was runin good than its a gasket or somthing simple(probably) a good shop will be able to tell you how does it run otherwise? if you unhook your ccv does it spray out oil/h20 mix? is your oil a milky white? these motors last a long time mines got 230000 and runs strong good luck
steve

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
oh ya and your cooling sys is not connected to your crank case i.e blow by cant get to the cooling sys from just wear alone you have A. blown head gasket B. cracked head/block
you probably dont need a motor a good mechanic yes motor no

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
would a compression test tell me if its a head gasket, cracked head, or block?
Thanks!

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
some times a compression and a pressure test of the radiator these two tests will tell you if there is a blown/cracked gasket or worse

·
1,726 Posts
Take it somewhere else. They don't have a clue if they think excessive blow by is causing the pressure in the radiator.

If the radiator is becoming pressurized it is due to the causes that camojeeper is talking about.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The most likely suspects..

Blown head gasket
Warped block (deck) or head(s) (would cause leakage at head gasket)
Cracked head, from combustion chamber into coolant passage
Cracked block, from bore into coolant jacket/passage

A blown head gasket can be detected with a compression check.. Check for cracks by getting the engine up to temp, and running a leakdown test. This will determine if there's any bleed-off from the combustion chamber into a coolant passage or elsewhere. The third method, is to check for combustion gasses in the cooling system.. This can be done by using a device that screws onto your radiator in place of the cap. If it turns a certain shade, then you know that there's combustion gas present. You can find it, as well as a leakdown tester at Napa.

Travis

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
um isnt that what i said? :sofa LOL LOL LOL

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not really.. You said pressure test for a blown/cracked gasket.. You didn't mention anything about leakdown testing, or gas analysis sampling of the coolant.. and you didn't mention that the problem may be something other than a head gasket.. such as a cracked head/block. I was just trying to offer the guy a more detailed list of likely suspects, and exactly how to check for each one.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts