The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some diagnostics run on my ailing early 99. Looks as if the injectors are growing weaker by the moment; especially #3. Which explains the harder and harder starting over the past year and most recently some very rough running. So I'll be contacting Darrell at Diesel Performance Plus to get a set of Stage I single shots. Then contact DP Tuner to get a PMT1 PCM and F5 tuner..YAHOO!!!:woot:

Anyway, since I'm going to be replacing the injectors, I'm thinking also of eliminating the deadhead issue. I've seen some regulated return kits for a little over $400. This seems a bit steep for some hose and a regulator. Had anyone done their own regulated return kit? I can't imagine the parts costing more than $100.

Tim

·
Registered
103 Posts
People have built there own set-ups, there isn't a whole lot to them. The regulator is going to cost you more than $100 though. If you've got the time to piece things together, go for it. You can probably do it for a little less cash, but it will take a lot more time.

·
1,726 Posts
Check out the link My TDG Gallery in my sig. I installed a complete system on my obs which changed to a electric SD pump and the works. I have detailed descripions of each picture with part numbers and some good info for doing fuel system stuff.

I do know ITP has a pretty cool adaptor that they will sell seperatly that bolts onto the filter cannister of the SD trucks for a reg return. Other than that you pretty much can get the parts from a racing supply store. Take a look at what the ITP kit comes with to get an idea of what you will need also because it looks like one of the slickest setups for the SD.

I bought my Aeromotive regulator off of ebay. Type in the part number in the ebay search and you should find the company that sells them new for around 130 shipped.

·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your thread a while back when you did the fuel system really struck my interest. That and my research about running vegi. I'm over the vegi thing for now, but really want to redo the fuel system since I'll be installing new injectors. Where did you get the line adapters that the filter screw on to?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lots of guys have built their own fuel systems, but they tend to do it differently than what your prolly finding online.

They are going with LARGE frame mounted fuel filters, upgraded pumps, regulator, and discarding all of the crap in the valley of the engine.

Also, if you ever decide to go with twin HPOP big oil setups, some require you to ditch the stock fuel bowl, others are just easier to install if the stock bowl is gone.

I have the ITP diesel kit, and I like it. Alot. I didnt realize how badly my truck was starving for fuel until I installed it, along with an electric fuel presure gauge for in the cab monitoring of fuel pressure.

The price your paying for the ITP kit is worth it. You get all the CORRECT fittings, all in one box. Otherwise its kinda a headache to get the right fittings, the right hoses, and ITPs kit has CNC bent stainless lines in any critical areas. Its a quality kit and I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one, just in frustration saving!

But that said, if you have access to a decent line and fitting company, and know your fittings pretty well, its not difficult to do yourself, but again, its the diesel safe regulator that costs so much.

·
Ol Dirt Contractor
2,803 Posts
If you’re going to leave the stock fuel bowl I would go with the ITP kit from Dennis. One trip to the fitting and hose shop and you will know why a pre thought out kit is cheap.

I’m doing a couple of OBS fuel systems now. Bronco tank, 5/8” pickup, -10 an lines, fuel wye, Fass, Aeromotive or SD pump, Aeromotive regulator, gauge, etc. Parts about $1500 per truck or more.

:bow:

·
1,726 Posts
ndrorydr said:
Your thread a while back when you did the fuel system really struck my interest. That and my research about running vegi. I'm over the vegi thing for now, but really want to redo the fuel system since I'll be installing new injectors. Where did you get the line adapters that the filter screw on to?
Sorry about not replying earlier. I must have missed it.

They are both Napa filter #4770 or Wix 14770

·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, got all the filters and bases from Napa. Now to visit Doug Herberts to get the AN fittings, regulator, and hoses for the top of the engine.

Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts