The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I was driving around, and I got off the interstate to take back roads about 5 miles home (even though the interstate runs within about 4 blocks of my home). When I got off I drove by a place that has some known mud ruts/very small (I mean nothing boggable or near it, just SMALL stuff). I decided to pull off the road, throw the truck in 4wd, and run through one.

Ran through it, had my rush, got back on the road (parallel to the ruts I ran through) and shifted truck back into 2HI (from 4HI). Drove about 2 miles (without stopping or letting off the skinny pedal, amazingly caught 3 green signals) and then suddenly my driver side front quarter of the truck began bouncing/articulating (what it felt like) wildly, and I pulled off the road quickly. I checked things over (suspension, brakes, tires, engine compartment) and things looked fine overall.

Continued the last 2 miles or so home, with no problem at all. Called about 4 people, and 3 out of 4 think its the death wobble. Apparently one of the axle shafts did not disengage? Can you guys learn me on this subject a little? I get the general idea but what are possible fixes for this?

I am semi-concerned about this as the truck is my DD, though not overly concerned. I plan on driving the truck a good 50 mile loop tomorrow to test it out and see if anything goes on while just cruisin in 2HI as 95% of my driving is.

Will post up the results, though if anyone has anything to say on this please post, this is my first 4wd truck so I am still learning about things after a year of owning/driving this truck on and off road.

Thanks,
-Jeremy

·
The Muffin Man is a *****
207 Posts
t-case low on fuel and not disengaging? usually i always engage in nuetral and do a quick reverse then drive roll to make sure its engaged, same for disengage just a quick reverse and then drive without giving it throttle to make sure is disengaged before I start driving

·
7 Posts
Replace your steering stabilizer

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took it out for a good 25 mile round trip drive today, at speeds up to 70 mph, did not have any problems. I am thinking it was not a full disengaging of 4wd yesterday. Thanks for the quick replies in here guys-

·
409 Posts

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ugh. dang money pit. need new tires, alignment, steering stabilizer, trac bar, etc etc. might as well do a whole front end job while im at it..... and consider taking out a loan.... LOL LOL

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
are the dodge and ford front ends real different when it comes to steering stabilizers? i havent had one on my truck in almost 2 years, thanks to how low it's mounted, and i havent had any problems.

Garrett

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well truck BIT IT F'IN HARD today. I am raging (tryin to get this heinekin to calm me down). death wobble occured 8 times (once on freeway, though i was in far right lane as per usual) then the rest on surface streets on the way to work today (2 miles).

Not even worst part yet. apparently it killed the starter somehow, or loosened wires (didnt bother checking). got ride home from another co worker. going back tomorrow with a new starter (yes im perfectly aware of the rebuild kits, etc. dont have time to wait for one to get here, need truck by monday), and probably wheel bearings, and new ball joints. its going to be a fun day in my work parking lot.

oh, dont forget whatever of the 24 pack of heines dont get drunk tonight are going with me in a cooler tomorrow. i may even camp with the truck, looking at things now its looking like i have more than 1 day (alone) of work to do on the thing.

fun times. there goes this weeks paycheck AND next weeks. its times like these im glad i dont own firearms, because im going to get stupid drunk tonight.

any advice on anything else i should check, chime in, i wanna hear it. (oh and a buddy recommended trackbar replacement as well.)

once the truck is running im driving straight down hill and dropping it off at the tire place by my work and getting a rotation and alignment done as well (rotation thrown in with price of alignment, if not im going to baseball bat somone there).

-Jeremy

·
1,836 Posts
Look very carefully at the steering box mount and mount brace for cracks and loose bolts/rivets.

keydl

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks kedyl, ill add that to my list (writing it down right now so i dont forget) of things to check tomorrow.

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lead from driver side battery to starter had come out of the weld. pushed it back in, fired right up.

as far as the wobble goes, track bar is the culprit. called local dealership at 3:25 lady told me that the parts dept closed at 3:30, guess they are on bar time. local parts store i usually get things through would have to special order one, and wont get here til mon or tuesday.

got truck home from work parking lot, tried keepin it 30 or under, wobble only occured when i hit certain bumps.

all in all tonight is looking like a repeat of last night as far as more beer.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Sorry to hear about you mis fortune... But I hope for your sake you get it fix soon. A death wobble is a crazy thing.

I've seen a Dodge 2nd Gen try to pass me on my Goldwing last summer and hit a seam in the road and...

OMG! That axle was bouncing so wildly!!! The driver hit the brakes and was getting squrrely next to me I grabbed two gears down and punch the throttle to get away from them... :wow

Sorry Jermey... I forgot about the death wobble... It been a long time since I've heard of a case of it... But I'm religious about greasing my trac bar...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine death wobbled once scared the living crap out of me took the whole road to get her stopped. all i did was cranked the living crap out of the bolt on the axle end of the tracbar has never done it again. i also back mine up a little bit after coming out of 4wd or it will not fully disengage and cause problems .

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, my problem is not the bolt on the axle end. Last night another Dodge buddy of mine came by and we did the 2 person trackbar check.... Basically the freakin frame end is popping off ~half inch. Yeah, think its time for a new trackbar!

Hello public transportation for a few days!!

Looking into getting a lukes link for the new one soon after I get this replacement done as well. Anyone know where to find one or whos got the best price?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I found them on ebay cant remember the price though. i think it cheapest to order right from the site.

·
1,836 Posts
Rockauto lists the track bar for $61 to $240 and specs either a 5/8 taper or a 3/4 taper, other listings use the dateof manuf.

Bushings are about $12 and avail as 2 piece so install is hand tools on the truck.

keydl

1 - 20 of 22 Posts