The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new truck to replace the 2005 I had. Should I stick with a bullet proofed 6.0 or go with a 6.4 ? All help is appreciated.

·
393 Posts
I am in the market for a new truck to replace the 2005 I had. Should I stick with a bullet proofed 6.0 or go with a 6.4 ? All help is appreciated.
I've owned five 6.0's and four 6.4's. My vote would be for a 6.4 with DPF, CAT & EGR deletes and Spartan tuner. Running this combination with 3.55 gears, I've seen mileage as high as 18.9. I also like the interior of the 6.4 truck much better. None of my 6.4's spent a minute in the shop for anything power-train or electrical system problems, unlike my 6.0 trucks.

·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Truckmaniac. Would you buy one that was close to 100k miles that was stock and then delete the aforementioned stuff and feel it was reliable?

·
393 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem buying a stock 6.4 with 100,000 miles IF the truck appears to have been well cared for and maintained. I'd stay away from any truck, regardless of brand or motor, that has been used in the oil field or on a farm or has done lots of heavy towing/hauling.

Be aware that when you delete the EGR, you'll have a lot of gunk in the EGR valve housing and the engine intake manifold. Replace the EGR valve housing with an elbow (there are EGR delete kits that include the elbow) and take the time to clean-out all of the gunk where it bolts to the intake manifold.

·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
393 Posts
That truck was owned by the North Carolina DMV? The DMV must have got it in a drug-raid or something since it appears to be in exceptional condition and is LOADED. The price isn't bad if everything works and it's as nice as it appears in the photos.

If this were a truck used by the Texas DMV it would be ridden hard & put-up wet and you'd be lucky to see a radio in it.

·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you look at the car fax on the auto trader link?
If you didn't go look at it if you dont mind.

·
393 Posts
I looked at the CARFAX. The truck wasn't owned by the North Carolina DMV. What it's showing on the CARFAX is that the truck was licensed, registered and titled by the DMV. CARFAX can't give you the previous owner's name because of Privacy Laws.

Since you have the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number), take it to your nearest Ford Dealership and have them run a Service History Report on the truck. This should be a free service and the print-out will give you much more detailed information than thhe CARFAX, regarding repairs, maintenance, warranty work and recalls.

It was registered as a Commercial Vehicle, which could mean just about anything these days. It could have been owned by a business where the owner used it about 10% of the time for work and 90% of the time for personal use or the owner could have let a dozen of his employees use it. Based strictly on the photos, I'd say that the truck was probably driven by one or two people.

Armed with the CARFAX, the Service History Report and a thorough examination of the truck, you should be able to make an informed decision as to purchasing it. IF you decide to move forward on this truck, make your best best deal, then tell them that the only thing that is keeping you from moving forward is the high mileage & lack of warranty. This should provide you with an opportunity to buy an Extended Warranty (if you're interested), at or near their cost. Dealers mark these up 50% or more, so the cost can be negotiated, just like the price of the truck itself.

·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help Truck. I really appreciate it !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts