The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the water seperator filter cover, the one that has the drain plug located bolted to the frame under the drivers side. The reason, the threads were gone. My question because the truck is not that old, the filter case is aluminum and the drain plug is of hard metal. Does this set up and electrolysis field? A soft metal, aluminum, a hard metal the plug, and diesel fuel the liquid. The aluminum is the soft sacrificial metal and the weakest point are the threads. I'm note a chemist but I think Ford has a problem or atleast I did, Any others out there?

·
77 Posts
I haven't had a problem on either of my 6.0L's???

:happymugs

·
Sumo Blue
527 Posts
The factory caps were plastic. Sounds like you have an aftermarket cap on there......

·
1,661 Posts
I just replaced the water seperator filter cover, the one that has the drain plug located bolted to the frame under the drivers side. The reason, the threads were gone. My question because the truck is not that old, the filter case is aluminum and the drain plug is of hard metal. Does this set up and electrolysis field? A soft metal, aluminum, a hard metal the plug, and diesel fuel the liquid. The aluminum is the soft sacrificial metal and the weakest point are the threads. I'm note a chemist but I think Ford has a problem or atleast I did, Any others out there?
I'm no chemist either, but you are the first one that I have heard with your issue. I would think that I would of heard alot more, being that the 6.0 has been out since '03. The only thing I can think of is at some point the drain plug was not reinstalled properly and the threads had gotten cross threaded.

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
Are you reffering to the drain plug or the filter cap. The factory cap is plastic and no electrolysis will happen. The plug is metal, steal I think, and the housing is aluminum. I just had both of mine out and other then a little corrosion on the plug all looked good. If you are talking about the plug you might have gotten some water in your fuel and corroded the threads on the plug, just a guess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Diesel Filter

This is a factory ordered truck I've owned from the get go. The filter has no plastic at all. The plug had some rust nothing serious. The threads on the casing were gone. and I just thought a chemical reaction.
I also thought it funny that the dealer had the part in stock. If it's not an ongoing problem chances are the part would have to be ordered

·
Banned
6,478 Posts
This is a factory ordered truck I've owned from the get go. The filter has no plastic at all. The plug had some rust nothing serious. The threads on the casing were gone. and I just thought a chemical reaction.
I also thought it funny that the dealer had the part in stock. If it's not an ongoing problem chances are the part would have to be ordered
Very interesting. Can you post some pictures of the old part?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have capability to send picture Sorry. The part I refer to is the water seperator located on the frame drivers side. The filter is in 2 parts with the plug on the outer casing 4 bolts with a gasket between hold the 2 together. That's about all I can tell you. It's either a chemical reaction to the drain area or someone somehow blew out the threads. I believe it's electrolisis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts