The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If one would remove the DPF and the cat. and use a smarty JR on a 3500 dually 07.5 6.7 auto 4:10 gear what would be the MPG gain? It looks like you have to go all the way or nothing with this stuff. And then what do you do with the EGR valve? I do about 7 thousand miles a year most of them towing16K im trying to figure if i should go for it or not.
I would think if you remove the regen it will save fuel but will it be enough to make it worth it? or should i just leave it stock?
Thanks Dave

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Towing i get 11-14 depending on terrian and how I drive. City 16-18 also dependant on how i drive. You can just block thd egr.

·
212 Posts
i have smarty jr. first i left mostly stock and just used the smarty to turn off the egr. no real benefit. also got more frequent regens due to egr not working. also still had all the crud gfoing into my oil. finally did delete and fuel mileage went up aboht 3 mpg. and oil remains free of diesel furl. the oil problem was what i deleted for, mpg was just a good side effect.

·
154 Posts
I did mine slowly as well, didnt see any real gains untill the egr cooler delete, yesterday I filled up ran about 200 mi 20.2mpg, and i dont ***** foot around 63-75 mph on the highway and I had a lot of stop and go. And that was on blended fuel.

How ever Ive never gotten that good before always 18-19 but I have 10 30 oil in it yet dont know that that would make a huge difference, and my egts were down as well 5-600 odd day maybe but with fuel prices on the rise I hope to see it continue.

·
821 Posts
I deleted everything on my 07.5. I put 5" exhaust with a muffler deleted dpf and everything else. I deleted my cooler egr and throttle valve. I put the smarty on it and havent had any problems in 15k miles and my fuel mileage went up about 4mpg and it soundsand smells like a diesel trucks should. If your hapy with the way it pulls and your current mileage, and only drive it as much as you say than no its not worth it to get 4 mpg more. I drive 3k miles a month and buy my own fuel so i would do it which I did, but at your mileage a year no.

·
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any one running the XRT instead of the smarty? some one said they had better MPG out of the XRT any trouth to this?

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Any one running the XRT instead of the smarty? some one said they had better MPG out of the XRT any trouth to this?
Its really a toss up Dave, for what you do with your truck smarty jr is more than you need. MPG is effect more on how your drive, sure some tunes will aid but bottom line it is more driving style. XRT is a fine choice.

·
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick Question, Im going to make the DPF delete pipe my self. Is are exh. 4 inch?

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Yeap!

·
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My friend and I made a SS addapter last night for the DPF Delete pipe. this way If i have to put it back in later I can. now one piece of stright pipe and we are good to go.

·
4 Posts
Hey guys, new member here.
I did a "stealth" type delete as I have 50k left on warranty and wanted to be able to go back to stock easily if need be. I left the downpipe and removed dpf and nox and replaced with "delete" pipe into stock muffler, plugged egr and removed cross tube. Smarty SrME set on Catcher #3, timing @3, and [email protected] in mixed driving ie: state roads and around town it's getting 18 to 21mpg hand calculated. keep in mind I don't beat on it much. I hooked up to my 4 place enclosed sled trailer loaded, probably around 5k and the only way I knew it was there was to look in the mirror,LOL
It sucks to have to do this to 50k trucks to get them to run like we all know they should, but do it man, you won't regret it. Totally different truck. This said coming from a real good running '03 HO with tuner and exhaust.

·
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did mine today i will see how the MPG goes Im running the tow program 40Hp i did not stray from the staandard program yet.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Did mine today i will see how the MPG goes Im running the tow program 40Hp i did not stray from the staandard program yet.
On the Smarty Jr.

SW-1 Mileage is 40HP
SW-2 Tow- is 70HP
SW-3 Performance is 100hp....

So if you are running Towing, you are on SW 2 IE 70HP

·
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok that explains why it runs so strong LOL Im in sw 2 tow I will have to see how the EGTS go towing the 16K 5er. I may have to go to POD and back it down to 80-89.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Ok that explains why it runs so strong LOL Im in sw 2 tow I will have to see how the EGTS go towing the 16K 5er. I may have to go to POD and back it down to 80-89.
:thumbsup

PS I run SW2 TM1 TQ2 and tow and Dd never change the tune

1 - 15 of 15 Posts