The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here, been a lurker here for a while.. I'm looking at buying a truck with a DD 8v92 in it to work everyday. The engine has been rebuilt. What are the pro's and con's about these engines? I'm not trying to set the world on fire, but are they reliable and a decent runner? I know all about the oil leaking stores..
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
144 Posts
First of all, Is it an 8v92 silver series? or is it green? the silver is an okay engine, but stay away from the older green ones because they had a problem with dumping coolant in the base.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
326 Posts
Ben46a said:
First of all, Is it an 8v92 silver series? or is it green? the silver is an okay engine, but stay away from the older green ones because they had a problem with dumping coolant in the base.
What exactly did they change on the silver series ? One weak spot Im told with the 92 is they used the 71s bearings , so they were a little harder on 'em.
 

·
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher
Joined
·
1,065 Posts
Brotherman said:
This is my first post here, been a lurker here for a while.. I'm looking at buying a truck with a DD 8v92 in it to work everyday. The engine has been rebuilt. What are the pro's and con's about these engines? I'm not trying to set the world on fire, but are they reliable and a decent runner? I know all about the oil leaking stores..

Basically with the 8V-92 series if you have silver verison they useally have bypass blower valve in there. and they are pretty picky with the lube oil slection normally they used straght 30W oil some area you can run the 15W-40 lubeoil in very cold weather sisuation other wise they will use a bit more oil than straght weighted verison is.

the highest siver 8-92 i know they can crank much as 435 HP but i heard some have higher rating [ i can't confrimed for now until i find the chart or someone else chime in on this ]

Merci, Marc
 

·
I refuse to grow up
Joined
·
29 Posts
the army is still running thousands of 8v92t's. most are ddec electronics, the het (oshkosh 8x8 tank transporter) is up to around 505 hp, and the hemtt truck with the older mechanical 8v92t was 445 hp. not sure if they bumped them up when they went to electronics on the newer ones. the engines in the m109 howitzer is an 8v71t. the 92's held up good, we ran the snot out of them, the 71's were on the ground as much as they were running.

biggest thing is to make sure you have a good older detroit mech, or you are really, really sure of your own skills. i personally love old 2 strokes,they don't make the torque a 6 cyl 4 stroke does, but nothing sounds like them. there is nothing you can't do to it at home with a few special tools and some patience.

be very careful, these can start with as little as 1/8 of a rev, and they do take off once in a while.never try to turn it over except with a ratchet (never a breaker bar!) snd keep fingers out of the way if you do.

if youget it, start watching the government sales, you might be able to pick up an older, good engine reasonable, they may be hard to get parts for.
 

·
Gear jammin fool
Joined
·
869 Posts
I'm looking at a truck with 450 HP Silver in it. From my DD guy, the Silver came out around '82.

The truck I'm looking at is a '77, so I know it's a repower.

Try to get the motor serial number and I'll see if I can get information from my source.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that doesn't sound like bad news at all.. The more I hear about this motor, the more I want to run one. There are a few shops near me that work on the older DD's. The truck that I'm going to look at has low miles on a rebuild. This particular one is rated at 475hp, so I was told. I love the sound of them, I can watch the truck videos with 8v92's on youtube all day long :popcorn: .

Colotow said:
the army is still running thousands of 8v92t's. most are ddec electronics, the het (oshkosh 8x8 tank transporter) is up to around 505 hp, and the hemtt truck with the older mechanical 8v92t was 445 hp. not sure if they bumped them up when they went to electronics on the newer ones. the engines in the m109 howitzer is an 8v71t. the 92's held up good, we ran the snot out of them, the 71's were on the ground as much as they were running.

biggest thing is to make sure you have a good older detroit mech, or you are really, really sure of your own skills. i personally love old 2 strokes,they don't make the torque a 6 cyl 4 stroke does, but nothing sounds like them. there is nothing you can't do to it at home with a few special tools and some patience.

be very careful, these can start with as little as 1/8 of a rev, and they do take off once in a while.never try to turn it over except with a ratchet (never a breaker bar!) snd keep fingers out of the way if you do.

if youget it, start watching the government sales, you might be able to pick up an older, good engine reasonable, they may be hard to get parts for.
 

·
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher
Joined
·
1,065 Posts
The other thing it came up in my mind i almost forgot to add this but kinda critcal with old deux temp's(*) is the air box drain if you dont keep that drain port clean you will have some issue getting the ole detorit runaway with it.

I have few close call on them so make a habit to check it out make sure they are not clogged up for some reason. most inline engine will useally have one but vee type will have one or two depending on what series it is.

Merci , Marc

(*) duex temp = two stroke in french
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
590 Posts
very good reminder french, and so true. also, if the engine has a tendecy to load up at idle, either dont idle it very long[best choice] or go very easy with the fuel pedal on take off. they can run away under these circumstances also. as mentioned, the silver series is a better design versus the old green ones, however i cant remember the changes that made them better. a silver 8v-92 was a very stout and pretty long lived engine. as stated the 15w40 oil can be used in winter time, but straight hd 30 is your best bet. i'am told the 2 stroke detroits, have a tendecy to shear the multi viscosicty oils.. ?
 

·
You wreck it, I'll fix it
Joined
·
62 Posts
They hate idling for long periods thats for sure. Slobbering SOB's, but you can keep them on the job forever with simple maintenance and Stone-age tools.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
775 Posts
I put 900k on one in a peterbuilt when I was still driving. It was a 430 and had no problems except for the fuel lines on the front of the engine. Original lines where weak and would blow. If replaced with after market they were good. When we tore it down, the bearings were almost worn through to the caps. Darn trk always ran like a scalded dog clear to the time for a rebuild. We ran delo 15w40. Go for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
the 475 92 would run butt every one i ever knew ov was a short lived may-pop they had problems plus were realfuelhogs
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
775 Posts
fred43 said:
the 475 92 would run butt every one i ever knew ov was a short lived may-pop they had problems plus were realfuelhogs
We didn't worry about mpg because fuel was cheap. I knew guy that through marine injectors in and shimed them, that bumped the power way up and had good luck with them. You just don't want to let them idle much because the oil pressure is low and starves the mains.:popcorn:
 

·
Member
Joined
·
121 Posts
heavyhaller said:
We didn't worry about mpg because fuel was cheap. I knew guy that through marine injectors in and shimed them, that bumped the power way up and had good luck with them. You just don't want to let them idle much because the oil pressure is low and starves the mains.:popcorn:
amen on that we had a couple 6 and 8 v92's for powerpacks and they were gashogs and he's right about idling they don't seem to like to do that for extended periods of time they'll start burning oil real bad now if they are revved up a little they will run all day and night
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top