The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 95 t600 with 12.7l detroit that keeps breaking the mounting bolts for the a/c compressor. Put in new bolts and seem to last awhile but problem always seems to come back. Anyone know the proper fix or maybe the cause.

·
125 Posts
Its the stand up ac compressor and the holes being opened up due to vibration. There is two fixes, the first one, the cases have to be repairable. Any Detroit Diesel Distributor should have the fixture to drill and install repair bushings. The next is to replace the cases, and find a new bracket and change to a rotary ac compressor. I usually have sell my customers on the upgrade, because the problem wont return and the rotary compressors tend to last longer.

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this a common problem for older detroits? Design flaw? I've heard to always idle up a detroit b/c of vibrating harshly at low idle.

·
3,533 Posts
If it was the engine that caused the problem, then why is it that the piston compressors on 5.9's and 8.3's, and older Cats had the same problem. The compressor vibrates and will wear out every componant. They make a retrofit bracket, to change to the rotary, for all the units. Repairing the bracket does not work, You have to ream it out and sleave the bracket end that has the sliding sleave.
Just a thought!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts