The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a detroit locker in the rear end of my truck and was thinking about putting one in the front, but i can't find a locker for the dana 50's for the front of fords. I know ARB makes air lockers for the front for dana 50's but i don't wanna spend that much money on that. Some sorta locker around 600 bucks would be good but can't find anything for a dana 50, only a dana 60.

337 Posts
I thought we had dana 60's in the front of our trucks?
thanks

·
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, up to '04 had dana 50's. '05 and newer have the dana 60 i was told.

·
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reg-Cab said:
99to 01 have have dana 50 02 to present have dana 60 the housings look the same the insides are a little different
Wow, i didn't know that. Learn something new every day i guess. Thanks guys. Lube, i'll hafta take a rain check on your offer, i don't need one right now as i was just trying to find out what kind of front differential my truck really has. Thanks though.

·
775 Posts
I would not recomend a D/L up front because it will put you into the weeds. When you have it in 4w and jump on it, it will pull hard to right. It will change lanes on you before you know it. It's call TQ steer and is caused by the left axle being shorter then the rt. An ARB air locker is ok because you only use it when you have no traction and normaly in slow going. And if its icy conditions it a lot worse. I had a posi in my jeep in both ends and that was bad enough but a D/L has no give.

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
strokin6L said:
Wow, i didn't know that. Learn something new every day i guess. Thanks guys.
I knew nothing of this said Dana 50 (granted I was 2wd only up until 14 months ago). Odd Ford only switched to it in 99 when Dodge had been using them since 94...? (IIRC my front axle is a D60.......)

Not trying to bash or nothing, just interested in learning more about this subject!

·
979 Posts
heavyhaller said:
I would not recomend a D/L up front because it will put you into the weeds. When you have it in 4w and jump on it, it will pull hard to right. It will change lanes on you before you know it. It's call TQ steer and is caused by the left axle being shorter then the rt. An ARB air locker is ok because you only use it when you have no traction and normaly in slow going. And if its icy conditions it a lot worse. I had a posi in my jeep in both ends and that was bad enough but a D/L has no give.
The detroit locker will lock and unlock. Once it is pully locked i can take my hands off the wheel and it will pull straight. Even with no rear axle shafts in the truck. I only get a little pull after taking a corner and then going straight again as the locker isn't locked together again.

·
775 Posts
Unless desined for ft wheel drive you will always get tq steer when one axle is longer then the other but the wt of our trks make it not as obvious. I would not do it if you are in a snow belt area because it is risky on icey roads. It should not affect your steering because it does disenguage on turns, though I have heard some loud bangs when it dissenguaged on corners. But when you jump on the throttle and grab a gear or hit a wet spot with the ft end locked.... BE READY.

·
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
heavyhaller said:
I would not do it if you are in a snow belt area because it is risky on icey roads. .
I do live in a snow belt area. But if i get one i'm not at all worried. Can't be any worse than having the truck in two wheel drive with a locker in the rear on snowy and icy roads and punching the throttle. I love the look on people's faces when i do that. LOL :sly: And i haven't ditched it in the last three winters. A locker up front while the truck is in 4x4 isn't gonna scare me none. The only thing i'm worried about is the stupid idiots that don't know how to drive in the snow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts