The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey every one im new here. i just purchased a 74 fire truck with a 8v71 detroit married to a 5 speed dana/spicer trans. while you are driving down the road(i have only gotten it to do it in 5th) (supposedly it does it in pump gear as well) the engine will start to race like you stepped on the clutch. if you let of the throttle and get on it again it grabs again. the only way to duplicate this is to step on the clutch while driving and it does the same thing. the truck has a rebuilt trans in it about 3000 miles ago along with a new clutch. although i have found out the maxy brake was hooked up wrong and it would never go off completly. therefor they were driving with the maxi on all the time. good way to smoke a clutch. i have tried to get the clutch to slip ie starting in third and trying to slip it but it doest slip. wondering if you guys had any other ideas. im used to working on slightly smaller truck never a dertroit/spicer combo. thanks

·
183 Posts
What make of chassis ? And is it a push type or pull type clutch ? If it's a pull type ,a rotation on the pressure plate adjustment will probably cure it !

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is a 1974 fwd/seagrave fire truck and the clutch is a push with no internal adjustment that i can see. i adjusted the external and got it lower on the pedal. drove if for about five mile ride and it didnt do it. i dont think that that fixed it i still have to play with it more when weather is nicer. any suggestions are welcome. thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts