The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a friend the other nite about our 7.3 PSD's,mine is a 95,his is a 00 F-450 with over 400k.The discussion was about diesel fuel conditioners,cleaners and additives.He said he put in some Amsoil that you use only once a year and his truck ran great.The cost was high at ninety bucks a bottle.The subject was brought up about running transmission fluid in the fuel to clean out the fuel system and use as a lubricant,like in the old days when you would pour it down the carb and smoke out the neighborhood.My dad would use it to free up sticky lifters in his Buick.Then he found out about Marvel Mystery Oil which is still sold today.This is all new to me,I use a fuel conditioner from Napa which I add a few ounces each time I fill up. What are some of the additives you guys use,thanks for all the input.Keep on Strokin'. Yankee Rebel:shrug:

·
1,854 Posts
Diesel Kleen!!

sold at walmart and most truck stops.

Also i've been mixing small amount of 2cycle oil in with mine.

·
6,337 Posts
circle5 said:
Diesel Kleen!!

Second his post... Other then the 2 cycle... but I am not driving a OBS...:poke:

·
1,854 Posts
CSIPSD said:
Second his post... Other then the 2 cycle... but I am not driving a OBS...:poke:
Just an experiment joe. ur just mad cuz u got rid of ur 97

·
1,726 Posts
I just recently started using the Power Service Diesel Kleen.

All the places close have switched to ULSD so I figured I would start using an additive.

·
0 Posts
I've been using Howes with very good results. My exhaust doesn't burn my eyes like it used to with PowerService...and its cheaper than Stanadyne. And can be found at any truckstop or department store.

·
idunnoyet
231 Posts
I like the Power Service diesel Kleene, seems to do better that the Lucas in our Rigs too!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
circle5 said:
Diesel Kleen!!

I don't understand the mixing of the 2 cycle oil.:pointlaugh I know I'm one of the new guys and maybe I missed somethin' I dunno.:RTFM: Maybe I missed that page in the book "Diesels for Dummies",please explain.Thanx

·
1,854 Posts
If Diesel71 (Paul) jumps in here he will explain it to ya

He is the one who convinced me to do it. Supposed to gain mileage. And its helped out a little

·
Registered
74 Posts
i have been using diesel kleen and tranny fluid in my '97 for lubrication in the ulsd

·
TDG Singles Club #112
565 Posts
:whs Power Service and a quart of tranny fluid in mine. Right wrong or indifferent thats what I do. Tranny fluid works great if you ever get water in the system, fill the fuel filter with it, out comes the water. Sam :grd

·
20 Posts
i have a '97 f250 supercab and i use the gray bottle of power service in the summer and the white bottle in the winter. Here in Indiana its been in the single digits for 2 almost 3 weeks and i havent had any trouble geling up yet knock on wood. My dad also uses the same in his 400 big cam IIII cummins on the road and does great.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
circle5 said:
If Diesel71 (Paul) jumps in here he will explain it to ya

He is the one who convinced me to do it. Supposed to gain mileage. And its helped out a little
I dont recommend using atf as a cleaner or lubricant in any powerstroke fuel system. atf was not made to burn,it has harsh cleaners and zink is the main ingredient for lubrication. zink when overheated or compressed will leave deposits. I use 16oz of power service diesel kleen and 16oz of 2-cycle oil for extra lubrication. 2-cycle oil is made to lubricate and burn without leaving harsh carbon deposits. we have been using it for awhile with good results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hmmmm

I have to agree with diesel 71 on additives. I have read in magazines regarding big trucks (I used to own them) that ATF is designed to lubricate and be squeezed, not burned. While it may help lube injectors and pumps, what happens inside the combustion chamber may not be worth it. I would stick to additives specifically made to be blended with fuel. I use power service from time to time, and I live in Michigan. It has been single digits here too lately, and I have never gelled up. Often, I don't use anything! I have a 97 PS, an 89 7.3IDI (which I blend used filtered motor oil in the fuel with-I know hypocritical to tell you not to!!) which has 246,000 miles, an 82 Mercedes 240d (Inline 4 cyl non-turbo diesel) with 106,000, and a 78 Bonneville (bought brand new by mom and dad-still have the window sticker!!!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts