The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the Diesel Keen products? A guy I work with recommended it. Says it helps with MPG and exhaust emissions. Says cetane boost on bottle. If not this product, does anyone reccomend any additives or should I just stay away all together. Running them in '06 f250 6.0L .

·
1,661 Posts

·
452 Posts
The best additive is running 1 oz. of tc-w 3 outboard 2 cycle per gallon of fuel. As for diesel kleen, i use it every 5000 miles to keep my injectors kleen. Deisel Kleen works it a wonderfully powerful solvent, i used it to clean my egr valve and the crud on it just melted away. Just remeber its a solvent and your injectors need lubrication to work properly and provide long service life. Diesel Kleen is great but there are better alternatives. Theres a diesel additive test around the forum somewhere that list how well different additves ranked which may also help you.

·
348 Posts
I run it when i can not get the ford diesel additive seams good you really need to run somthing in these trucks with the ultra low sulfer diesel we have now. The lubericant in diesel was in the sulfer which they have taken out now so a additive is needed to get the lubercation back into the fuel to keep fuel system and injectors in good shape.

Reactions: joshua3421

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
It's cheaper to run the two stroke motor oil from Walmart. As stated above 1 oz. per gal. Engine runs quieter and injectors like it. JMHO

·
348 Posts
It's cheaper to run the two stroke motor oil from Walmart. As stated above 1 oz. per gal. Engine runs quieter and injectors like it. JMHO
Really what type of 2cycle oil are you buying everthing i have seen is like $12.00 a gallon so that will treat 128 gallons of diesel the ford cerane booster and performance improver is like $7.00 and it treats 125 gallons and it has cetane in it.

·
452 Posts
Correction to ranger 518, Diesels lubricity was not from the extra sulfer, rather the chemical composition of the diesel itself. ULSD is treated with hydrogen the molecules bond with the diesel and and remove most of the sufer however some other componds go with it, as this changes the molecular structure of the diesel fuel. I dont know exactley what they are or what changes occur but the sulfer was not the lubricant in diesel fuel. Sorry man had to do it lol

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
i don't know what I paid exactly, but I think I paid under $10 for the Walmart brand two stroke oil.

·
348 Posts
Correction to ranger 518, Diesels lubricity was not from the extra sulfer, rather the chemical composition of the diesel itself. ULSD is treated with hydrogen the molecules bond with the diesel and and remove most of the sufer however some other componds go with it, as this changes the molecular structure of the diesel fuel. I dont know exactley what they are or what changes occur but the sulfer was not the lubricant in diesel fuel. Sorry man had to do it lol
ha no problem i always just thought it was due to the low sulfer sinse that is when all this started to come up. That is why i love this site i learn somthing new ever time i log on.

·
452 Posts
I use chain bar oil.
I wouldnt do that, outboard 2 cycle is made to burn and at a low ratio it burns very cleanly, using bar oil your just dumping more contaminates in your oil and and egr system assuming you still have it. Oh yea and that 2000 dollar cat and and various other sensors

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone! So 2 cycle oil it is. How often should I run it? I appreciate all the info. As I am new to the 6.0, I will take all the info I can get.

·
TDG Single Club Member#14
1,086 Posts
Absolutely 0 emmissions left on my truck, ccv has a draft tube.

·
1,836 Posts
thedieselplace.com paid to have about 50 additives tested for lubricity with raw fuel, the results have been copied many places. They are a GM diesel site.

Optilube (mailorder) was high on the list, 2% biodiesel and 2cycle oil shared the top of the list.

Several of the tested 'additives' LOWERED the lubricity of the fuel - meaning more wear. The age of the injection design is also a factor - the VE pump on my trucks was designed for a 350 rating on the fuel, the current rating 'target' is 520 and the requested rating by the manufactures was 480. In many locations the lubricity additive is added in the tankwagon by the driver :) No quality control in place....

My choice? Biodiesel above 2% when it is cost competitive and 2cycle othrwise.

mopar1973man found a way to check the contents of the additives - the safety sheets for first responders show the chemicals used - paint thinner, MEK...... it is a lot cheaper to use as paint thinner if you have a specific problem that is on the list for chemical cure - but that needs education on the cause and possible cures, running in hot and shutting down is the most common cause. Bad fuel is another.

·
3,306 Posts
i love opti-lube XPD and use it in every tank full. I also put in the 2 cycle oil from walmart...it's the supertech stuff in the blue gallon jug. You can also get in the little 16oz bottles, but it's way cheaper to just get the gallon.

·
3,051 Posts
Hey, where is Moparman these days? Since he started his own website he dosen't visit us here much anymore. I miss those good ol debates on fuel and additives.

Harry

·
227 Posts

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again for all the feedback. Next question......is there any of these that are going to help keep the EGR system clean and/or any that will cause more buildup faster, until I am able to bypass or delete it. I am still learning about this EGR system, all I have had previously have been 7.3s and this was not an issue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts