The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2002 7.3L DP Tuner
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all and thanks in advance for the assistance.

I have a 2002 7.3 f250. I have a light smell of diesel in the cab , but only on restart after I have been driving a while. Injector cups have been replaced by mechanic, coolant has a bit of oily residue, but it is not overflowing as it was when injector cups was leaking.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

150,000 miles on the truck.

·
3,533 Posts
Usually when you are getting any smell from under the hood into the cab it is the heater housing leaking. it is on the suction side of the system so even a little leak will draw in air.
Just a thought!

Reactions: gratcliffe

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
Usually when you are getting any smell from under the hood into the cab it is the heater housing leaking. it is on the suction side of the system so even a little leak will draw in air.
Just a thought!
John has hit this on the head very well but I'd like to add the steering column boot where the shaft comes through the cab firewall is another very strong culprit, as can the brake master cylinder seal be a source of infiltration. We used to chase this problem in the summer months often on aging trucks. The foam perimeter seal around the air box, (as mentioned) as well as where the lines for the evaporator and heater core protrude are usually sealed by foam and this breaks down over time from exposure and heat. Also another culprit is the defroster intakes at the base of the windshield but this is usually a player if there is active fuel seepage in the engine compartment.

Wipe all your fuel connections down ensuring they, and the surrounding area are clean and drive the truck normally a few days then check the areas for dust/dirt accumulation. Fuel seepage leaks can draw dust and dirt to it which can be an indicator. I like to use a dye in the liquids and a high intensity black light to locate leaks but this gets expensive for a "one off" troubleshooting aid. The dye shot is not expensive, a 100 watt lamp is however.....

I'm thinking on the model year truck you mention the secondary filter housing could be problematic to seal at times but it's been a while.

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
If you are smelling fuel, not exhaust, it's possible you have something similar to what just happened on my truck. I've developed a small fuel leak from the fuel bowl drain. It's a 20-30 minute fix with the correct tools (T-20 bit, some 3/8" hose for draining, and I used some dental picks and scotch brite pad and a bit of aerosol carb cleaner). The fix is clearly outlined on Guzzle's page, and I will include a link in my build thread.

·
17 Posts
Had a similar smell and mine also was the fuel bowl drain lever as well. I got a new set of o-rings on ebay. No further problems.

·
Super_Duty
6 Posts
If you are smelling fuel, not exhaust, it's possible you have something similar to what just happened on my truck. I've developed a small fuel leak from the fuel bowl drain. It's a 20-30 minute fix with the correct tools (T-20 bit, some 3/8" hose for draining, and I used some dental picks and scotch brite pad and a bit of aerosol carb cleaner). The fix is clearly outlined on Guzzle's page, and I will include a link in my build thread.
I had the same problem. My fuel bowl drain valve was leaking and it would gather in the valley. I fixed that and the smell was gone.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts