The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have battled with my truck wearing tires out fast. Seems to be too fast that I go through them. The guy at Les Schwab told me that the Diesel truck naturally go through tires faster because of the amount of torque. It makes sense for that to be possible.

Is this true or was the guy blowin smoke...???

What would be a good tire that would last long on my truck???
I am running 35" tires right now and would like to run 38" and change my differential gears to at least 4.10 or maybe higher. I do haul heavy from time to time.

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
I think it has more to do with the wieght up front so you just have to keep your tires rotated right.

I have Nittos from Discounttire and I love them so far

·
608 Posts
nope, I know exactly why my tires wear faster than normal.... :) It is all the ricers fault... I promise. honestly, I haven't ever heard of that, but i guess it makes sense...

·
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My fronts aren't so bad. My backs wear out like crazy. I think part of it may be that Les Schwab keep over filling my tires. They insist that there should be between 45 and 50 pounds. But I consistently wear only the centers of the tires.

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
Yeah all of that can cause it also. I like the ricer reason the best

·
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It just seems like it has to be more than just tire pressure causing it.
I mainly want to know if the Schwab dude was making stuff up or if diesels naturally do wear out tires faster.

·
Mafia Member #93
695 Posts
I dont go thru tires that fast at all. I bought a used set while back that were 50%. the was 30K ago and they are still probably 15-20% but I do need to get some new ones for winter.

I live 20 miles from the Schwabs headquarters. they tell me stuff that is TOTALLY different that what the brach offices tell me. Me and the guy at the branch location just go roundy, roundy over everything! lol lol

·
1,581 Posts
Are you running 315's on stock (7") wheels?

·
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The last set for me. I bought July 1st with 90% and they are already down around 25% in about 10k miles

·
Mafia Member #93
695 Posts
Oh man, that really sucks! Are you SURE you arent doin lots of big burnouts!!!LOL j/k

·
1,581 Posts
275/70's are the widest tire that fit a 7" wheel (correctly)

Try wider wheels or narrower tires (like 255/85-16's)

It's got nothing to do with the diesel.

It has everything to do with correct tire/wheel fitment and air pressure.

EDIT: I see 8" wheels, lower your air pressure to about 30PSI if you're driving around empty.

·
608 Posts
earl, what is the widest I can go in the rear with my dually without spacers? sorry kinda off topic...

·
1,581 Posts
A lot of guys run 255/85-16's without spacers, but 235's are technically the widest tire for a 6" rim.

·
608 Posts
and 16x6 is my stock rim?

·
resident mason
343 Posts
444-You say to lower press. in tire to 30 psi if empty. I've heard that a 8 or 10 ply will heat up if too low press. because they are so stiff. Have you heard of this. Also personally I only get maybe 20000 out of a set. I have a theory. The diesel has wicked torque way down low in the rpm band, so when you take off from a stop or are going slow and get on it inertia is against you and the tires take abuse. On a gasser your tq and hp is up high in the band so you are already moving when it hits.

·
1,581 Posts
Without weight it won't build heat.

To calculate correct pressure, you'll need axle weights and the weight/PSI numbers off the sidewall of whatever tire you're running.

Divide the actual axle weight by the combined maximum capacity of the tires on that axle (little number by big number)

Multiply that figure by the max PSI cold on the tire's sidewall and round up to the next 5PSI (easier to remember)

EXAMPLE: (for someone who drives an empty truck around all the time)

265/75E16 = 3415lbs @ 80PSI cold

The (empty) rear axle on a SRW CC SB is about 2300lbs

SO,

2300 / 6830 = .34

.34 X 80 = 27.2

Round up to the next 5PSI, so the correct pressure should be 30PSI cold.
(assuming the wheel is the correct width)

For extended highway speed operation bump it another 5PSI.

If you're going to haul or tow a heavy load don't forget to air up!

The diesel has wicked torque way down low in the rpm band, so when you take off from a stop or are going slow and get on it inertia is against you and the tires take abuse. On a gasser your tq and hp is up high in the band so you are already moving when it hits.
He's having problems with wearing in the center of the tread which is a tire/wheel fitment or air pressure issue.

Excessive torque will cause feathering (or cupping) of the tread blocks if the tire's aren't rotated properly.
It is commonly seen on big trucks with high torque engines pulling heavy loads on pavement.

I used to have a KW with a 525/1850 N14 Cummins and grossed over 100,000lbs regularly, the tread would start feathering if I didn't rotate them enough.
With 8 drive tires you rotate in a X pattern (to reverse rotation and move FRA to RRA) and keep truck'n :Thumbup:

·
resident mason
343 Posts
The actual axle weight? Like the axle by itself off the truck or if you weighed it on a scale at the pit? I can't see where either way it would way 2300 lbs. Alone it can't weigh that much and on a scale with a 7000 lb truck you would have to have more weight than that on the rear wouldn't you?

·
1,581 Posts
Weigh the whole truck, get axle weights.

Don't go by the door jam if you drive around with an empty bed all the time.

No, an empty Ford Diesel 4wd SRW CC SB will be (about) 4500 on the front and 2300 on the rear.

My 4wd DRW CC LB is 4850 on the front and 3400 on the rear.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts