The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Indecisive
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get this year dodge and I am looking at an auto or manual.

What did they do to the motor to detune it for the auto or uptune it for the manual.

And can they be reversed

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Auto and 5 Speeds are SO engines (235/460) HP/TQ.

6 Speeds are HO engines (245/505) HP/TQ

Basically the difference was the compression ration and a few minor changes...

·
I Wanna Go Fast!!!!
111 Posts
Those new trucks are bad *** wish i had the money to invest.... guess i will stick with my 01 2500...
the difference would really depend on what u wanted to do with it??? The auto trannys are faster on the track right now but the manual trannys hold up better from my experinces

·
Ghost
628 Posts
So there never was a HO automatic I take it.
If you are wanting something to mod the High Output motor isn't going to be your cup of tea. Standard Outputs are the way to go as far as modding. High Outputs can be modded, but going beyond 500hp is tough vs a standard output which could be at 500hp after a 6 pack of beer. High Outputs are great for fuel mileage however.

·
Ghost
628 Posts
Well I got some bad news. Reliability and MPG the Cummins will beat a 6.0 hands down. But the 6.0's had VGT's that made them feel like they had quiet a bit of power. With injectors turbos and a comp box. You should have the power thing under control. 6speeds are great if you are always hooked up to a trailer. But if not, just do a automatic.

·
2,655 Posts
I just want power, good towing, reliability and fuel enconomy.

over my 6oh so the last two should be easy lol.
You want it all, like most of us. .....Get an auto and have it built. Get a slightly larger turbo and a new set of injectors. Don't forget the 4" exhaust. Everything else you can do yourself.

All this banter about a stick vs an auto.... it's what YOU want to drive. Yes, the stick can get a little bit better fuel economy but YOU shift every shift. It sounds great at first but after a while it gets old. If the wife wants/needs the truck it suddenly becomes a PIA. If you build the motor a new apply system (clutch, ect) will be needed. Stop and go traffice is a blast with a built motor and clutch. It smells like ol'e Anti's cook'n but not in the kitchen. :haha

BTW, what spools a turbo faster a clutch system or an automatic?

·
Indecisive
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Than its an auto!

Thank you rich for the input.

Yeah I was looking at some different parts for the trucks, I have a fully built ford 6.0 right now and I want to get away from that.

·
Ghost
628 Posts
You want it all, like most of us. .....Get an auto and have it built. Get a slightly larger turbo and a new set of injectors. Don't forget the 4" exhaust. Everything else you can do yourself.

All this banter about a stick vs an auto.... it's what YOU want to drive. Yes, the stick can get a little bit better fuel economy but YOU shift every shift. It sounds great at first but after a while it gets old. If the wife wants/needs the truck it suddenly becomes a PIA. If you build the motor a new apply system (clutch, ect) will be needed. Stop and go traffice is a blast with a built motor and clutch. It smells like ol'e Anti's cook'n but not in the kitchen. :haha

BTW, what spools a turbo faster a clutch system or an automatic?
Your also forgetting the nice Cup holders......

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts

All this banter about a stick vs an auto.... it's what YOU want to drive. Yes, the stick can get a little bit better fuel economy but YOU shift every shift. It sounds great at first but after a while it gets old. If the wife wants/needs the truck it suddenly becomes a PIA. If you build the motor a new apply system (clutch, ect) will be needed. Stop and go traffice is a blast with a built motor and clutch. It smells like ol'e Anti's cook'n but not in the kitchen.
I've got a problem with automatics... :bang:

I got this bad habit of looking for a stick that is not there. And always skidding down the road as I stab the brake looking for a clutch... :haha(Actually done this a few times)

Seriously...

For racing purpose Auto are the best route to go. Yo never miss a shift and then you can do boosted launches...

But as for durability Auto tend to fall aprt before a manual...

But for MPG and pure pulling power a stick got it hands down...:thumbsup

·
I now drive a Duramax...
318 Posts
You can buy mine...;)

·
99 cummins
160 Posts
I've got a problem with automatics... :bang:

I got this bad habit of looking for a stick that is not there. And always skidding down the road as I stab the brake looking for a clutch... :haha(Actually done this a few times)

Seriously...

For racing purpose Auto are the best route to go. Yo never miss a shift and then you can do boosted launches...

But as for durability Auto tend to fall aprt before a manual...

But for MPG and pure pulling power a stick got it hands down...:thumbsup
i agree, i love my stick, i dont mind auto's as much as i used to, but i like the stick so much better, i love grabbing gears!

and by the way, i do the same thing, looking for a shifter and clutch while im in an automatic... slaming my left foot on the floor, trying to downshift with my air shifter while coming up to a stop sign!:bang:

·
237 Posts
Manuals are good except for when the clutch goes bye-bye. High point is I limped it further (200 miles w/ 10K lbs) than we've ever limped an auto. South Pass & no clutch sucks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts