The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way up to MD i stopped at a truck stop and the trucker fuel was $.10 cheaper a gallon. It was rated at 40 instead of 45 cetane. I ended up using the regular stuff. Would I have had problems with the 40 or would it have been fine? :shrug: Just curious

·
MAFIA #8
5,567 Posts
most places around here is only 40 cetane. There shouldn't be any difference between the two. I dont know why there would be a difference in price though..

·
IS FREE!!!!!
1,143 Posts
one could be winter fuel, and the other the summer fuel. the winter fuel would have anti gel already mixed in it.

·
Mafia member 46
555 Posts
the stations usually charge the p/u. /car pleasure use vehicles more. Basically giving the truckers a break since the truckers livelyhood is based on the fuel. Also the truckers usually have a special card to buy their fuel that will give them a break.

·
formally dodge97ctd-sc member #12
2,001 Posts
well around here the "cheaper" fuel is strictly off-road fuel used for tractors and other off the highway vechicles and the more expensiver stuff is for the reguar pickups and all the highway vehicles and if you get caught with the cheap fuel in your truck when if aint a off highway truck you can get a ticket or something i dont know if that help any

-bubba-

·
48 Posts
Just some info, Go to a Flying J truck stop and register for there frequent fueler and save, Also get points to use in store an other things as well. Their fuel is cheaper than most companies.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
ALL modern Diesel engines are DESIGNED for 45 Cetane fuel, MINUMUM.

40 cetane diesel is **** fuel, and not only would I not buy it for $0.10/gallon less, I would not buy it AT ALL.

We are the only "modern industrialized country" that does not legislate the quality (cetane, moisture, viscosity, specific gravity etc) of our diesel. The result? All the emissions crap we have on our engines, that are not needed in other countries (or are needed but are less sophisticated).

·
Smoke Creator.
189 Posts
John_G said:
ALL modern Diesel engines are DESIGNED for 45 Cetane fuel, MINUMUM.

40 cetane diesel is **** fuel, and not only would I not buy it for $0.10/gallon less, I would not buy it AT ALL.

We are the only "modern industrialized country" that does not legislate the quality (cetane, moisture, viscosity, specific gravity etc) of our diesel. The result? All the emissions crap we have on our engines, that are not needed in other countries (or are needed but are less sophisticated).

X2
:iagree

dan

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
The reason the fuel appears cheaper is because most trucks are tax exempt. The prices you are looking at are without state tax I believe. On the other end of the deal, the truckers pay all those taxes they didnt pay throughout the year at tax season, so they never really get a break from the tax. They just dont pay it at the time of fillup. The diesel comes from the same tank, just differant pumps.

·
trucker trash
229 Posts
Horsehaulin said:
The reason the fuel appears cheaper is because most trucks are tax exempt. The prices you are looking at are without state tax I believe. On the other end of the deal, the truckers pay all those taxes they didnt pay throughout the year at tax season, so they never really get a break from the tax. They just dont pay it at the time of fillup. The diesel comes from the same tank, just differant pumps.
Trucks are NOT tax exempt. Sometimes the trucks pay less than cars in some states(IN comes to mind) but when we file our Qtr. taxes we pay it all. Some states charge fuel tax PLUS mi tax(KY,NM,OR) so we both ways. Talk about getting bent over without a kiss or vaseline!

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Thats basically what I said. Funny you mentioned IN, cause thats where I am. We are tax exempt at the time of purchase, but the big guy catches up with us at a later date. Thats what I meant by "Tax Exempt", meaning exempt at the time of purchase. Sorry if I was not clear enough.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
certane rating is like octane rating the higher the better,and beside semi 's dont have few or none emissions controls like are pick ups do so they can use the crappy fuel , but i would hate to be the guy that breaks down in the middle of the desert with a fuel problem with a load of parishables like meat of somethen like that

·
trucker trash
229 Posts
Horsehaulin said:
Thats basically what I said. Funny you mentioned IN, cause thats where I am. We are tax exempt at the time of purchase, but the big guy catches up with us at a later date. Thats what I meant by "Tax Exempt", meaning exempt at the time of purchase. Sorry if I was not clear enough.
I'm not sure if i didn't read your entire post or read it wrong. Mulligan for TRUCKDRIVER! Sorry about that.

·
4,827 Posts
86 1 tonhauler said:
beside semi 's dont have few or none emissions controls like are pick ups do so they can use the crappy fuel
That isn't true. At least not for the newer ones. They have to deal with emission controls as well. Most anything built after '03 has an EGR, or something that will result in the same effects on the emisiions. Cat ACERT engines have twin turbos. Others are getting a VG turbo. Pretty much all have electronically controlled injectors, with just as tight of tolerances of the ones used in the pickup trucks.

On the fuel prices, there are plenty of truckstops that tack on another 5-8 cents/gallon to use a credit card. Including Flying J.

In Indiana, they do ask for your ICC or DOT number when buying fuel for the big trucks, so they are keeping track of you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts