The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a early 99 now, im gonna sell it and get a 2000 7.3l, the engine looked different than my 99, the battery has a plastic cover around it and the cover that goes over the fuel filter is smaller on the 2000, is there anything else that is different, even the turbo looked different.

thanks

·
442 Posts
Turbo, Air intake heater, battery setup, injectors, suspension stuff, and other things I'm surely forgetting.

·
Another day in paradise
284 Posts
YES, just because I'm partial to the 99-03 body styles. :D

And with the 2000 I hope you get the forged rods. :thumbsup

·
442 Posts
Forged rods are in the early 99 too.

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok sorry i might of came off the wrong way, i was just asking if the 2000 had any major motor changes from the 99. im also looking for a 4" turbo back exhaust, any good brands?, alum or stainless?

·
296 Posts
late 2000 and up have powder metal rods (pmr) they dont handle power to well compared to forged. stainless is always better than aluminum in my opinion. either way a 4 inch exhaust and intake are a must in my book.

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
late 2000 and up have powder metal rods (pmr) they dont handle power to well compared to forged. stainless is always better than aluminum in my opinion. either way a 4 inch exhaust and intake are a must in my book.
thanks as in late 2000, i think it has a build date of 12/99. i want to get a exhaust was looking in summit catalog tonight and seen a 5" turbo back, i have a 4" turbo back on my 99 now and love it, will the 5" be better?
thanks for the respone eveybody

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
The 5" will be louder, which may or may not be better, based solely on your opinion and noise tolerance.

If you find a great deal on a 2000 model year and get great $$ out of your truck, then you may be ahead a little.

If you just want to spend some cash, you can upgrade your turbo and injectors and the other minimal stuff for about what you'll spend on a 2000 truck in the long run.

If you know the service history on your current vehicle, and it's reliable, there's probably a negligible difference to be gained (or lost) in trading up.

prt

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 5" will be louder, which may or may not be better, based solely on your opinion and noise tolerance.

If you find a great deal on a 2000 model year and get great $$ out of your truck, then you may be ahead a little.

If you just want to spend some cash, you can upgrade your turbo and injectors and the other minimal stuff for about what you'll spend on a 2000 truck in the long run.

If you know the service history on your current vehicle, and it's reliable, there's probably a negligible difference to be gained (or lost) in trading up.

prt
im getting a 2000 f350 crewcab 4x4 with 63000, truck wasnt even broke in yet, mine is a 99 with 235000, but is is good shape, but getting decent money for it. im definatley gonna go with a 4" and my bullydog flip switch.

·
7.3 addict
644 Posts
the bully dog is fine some people think that custom tunes are the way to go but you hear more problems with them!

·
296 Posts
4inch exhaust is all you need i have a 5inch and i think mine is quieter than it was when i had the four inch, from what i have heard in custom tuners world is even if you do have problems with it which seem to be rare the vendors work very well at trying to get your problem solved for you. might i add that a set of gauges would definately be in order... idk what kind of driving you do but once you put a flip chip your gonna see all sorts of different egts depending on your driving style... good luck

·
296 Posts
well they are wrong not alot but some from 2000 had pmr's in them

·
296 Posts
starting with engine serial number 1425747 began pmr's they ran them until engine serial number 1440712, 1440713 - 1498318 were back to forged then after that til the end of the 7.3 was in fact pmr's dont mean to be a **** but uh the mechanics you know are not exactly right on that subject.

·
454 Posts
starting with engine serial number 1425747 began pmr's they ran them until engine serial number 1440712, 1440713 - 1498318 were back to forged then after that til the end of the 7.3 was in fact pmr's dont mean to be a **** but uh the mechanics you know are not exactly right on that subject.
What year did they go back to the forged rods?

·
296 Posts
it was only for a few months if im not mistaken, i dont have the facts right in front of me anymore but if you need to find out look on the driver side valve cover can tell you serial number or on the back of the oil cooler pad

1 - 20 of 21 Posts