The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
Joined
·
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, whats the difference in a load dyno and a regular dyno? like how do they get the #s, why do they read so different, etc.?

For instance, when i dynoed my truck on a "regular" dyno, they had to not only put it on the rollers, but put a mark on my fan belt and use a laser thing to get the dyno to pick up readings, also when i dynoed on that dynojet my #s were

on motor
410 hp
720 tq

with pane
490 hp
860 tq

on the load dyno, they just strapped her down and went

on motor
335 hp
917 tq

with pane
383 hp
1050 tq
 

·
Diesel Mafia #67
Joined
·
11,283 Posts
Darin.. what did you say that cummins had done to it..? the CR? that dynoed a little more then you..

I honestly really dont know why it read diffrent.. average the to together and thats you HP.. :roflmao:

WHERES THE VIDEO? so you can make the hole garage go deaf?
 

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
Joined
·
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL well the guy doin the vid was on the drivers side you it may not be THAT loud...LOL but im waitin on him to upload it, didnt get it with my camera. it blew a lil smoke too!

and the cummins did dyno more than me on motor, which sux!, haha. but i Barely got em on pane, which still sux..LOL we are goin to the track friday tho to see if she pulls as hard on low end too. and jordan, look at the 03-07 cummins section, there was quit a bit that changed between the years!
 

·
Diesel Mafia #67
Joined
·
11,283 Posts
6L strokin said:
LOL well the guy doin the vid was on the drivers side you it may not be THAT loud...LOL but im waitin on him to upload it, didnt get it with my camera. it blew a lil smoke too!

and the cummins did dyno more than me on motor, which sux!, haha. but i Barely got em on pane, which still sux..LOL we are goin to the track friday tho to see if she pulls as hard on low end too. and jordan, look at the 03-07 cummins section, there was quit a bit that changed between the years!

Yeah so.. I know that.. ... Either way .. your poopystroke.. hardly dynoed more then him when you wer eon drugs.. but some drugs on that cumm-a-part! LOL Watch those Headgaskets buddy!!!!! :Thumbup: Im not being a smartarse.. I dont want to see you dish out all that money..

BTW how much do you have into your truck Darin? and you said the CR did all that on programer, intake and exhaust.. come on pal.. DO IT.. DO IT.. conver to the darkside! ill give you a cookie!! :shrug: with milk!
 

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
Joined
·
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL......whatta homo! haha. well if you wanna get Technical about it.......all he has done is a smarty and i think a straight exhaust...However, he did have the smarty on level 9 (highest level) on the dyno and if he ran on that level all the time his tranny would go bye bye most likely. you know all my mods man, and they in the sig. hey, if the 6.0 ever blows, ill look into a fummins swap......but till then im gonna be powerstrokin!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Its me with the blue cummins hows it goin. Dont hate on the cummins. I downloaded a new version the other day and it has more power now!
 

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
Joined
·
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
still cant hang at the track tho ryne! LOL j/k man. that trucks fast....especially for only having like $500 in mods done to it! and it smokes like crazy too! get big dan to get those vids uploaded so we can post em up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
6L strokin said:
still cant hang at the track tho ryne! LOL j/k man. that trucks fast....especially for only having like $500 in mods done to it! and it smokes like crazy too! get big dan to get those vids uploaded so we can post em up!
Im tryn to get him to upload them. I got to give it to you your truck is a beast I cant wait untill I get a new trans and propane then it will be a good race
 

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
Joined
·
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL, your gonna hop on the propane train too huh? i shoud prolly become a dealer around here and make a couple bucks. think bo jones wants one too! i would say a built tranny and t/c would knock off at least 2 tenths off your track times already and propane knocks off over 1/2 second off my 1/8 mile time so... i like to think of pane as injectors you can turn on and off..and not have to use nos to clean it up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
A load dyno is basically like power-braking your truck and measuring how well it pulls through the "load". A regular dyno measures how fast/quickly your truck gets the rollers running and how long it takes it to get to that point. That's where the horsepower comes from. The "laser thingy" is an optical sensor that reads a piece of reflective tape on your harmonic balancer which gives you a torque reading. In my opinion, the regualar dyno numbers are right.
 

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
Joined
·
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
explain a lil more in dummy terms...LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
The dyno's are the same. The only difference is an addition of an eddy brake which allows the dyno to load the vehicle to simulate real driving and allow you to do steady state diagnostics/tuning. The "load" dyno with the eddy brake off is an inertia dyno just like the non eddy brake dyno. When he ran your truck on the "load" dyno he was using it in the inertia mode just like the other dyno.

The difference in numbers you see is because you used two different dyno's. No two will generally give you the same numbers due to calibrations. If they are the same brand and have been setup exactly the same you might get really close but there will probably still be a difference. The best thing to do is to stay with one dyno so you can accurately measure your increase in hp/tq from mods. Regardess of whether the dyno is reading low or high you still have an accurate change which is the most important.

Now the reason for the optical sensor is to get a 1:1 reading from your crankshaft for rpm purposes. You can point it at anything that rotates with the crank but you have to change your ratio to achieve the 1:1. The reason the other dyno didn't use it is because you can also get this information from the roller itself but it's not as accurate (ie quicker setup, lazy, don't have the equipment). Not using the optical pickup usually drops your torque 3 or 4 ft/lbs (at least this is what I've seen doing back to back tests with and without the optical pickup). You can also get the rpm signal from the OBDII port if you have the equipment (this is the way I do it because your getting the RPM from the computer).



Clear as mud now? :)
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
I don't know nothing about it either.

We went and ran the dyno today. Most of the SCT trucks were putting down between 390-410rwhp depending on the tune. Mine went 446rwhp on motor only.
 

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
Joined
·
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dude, you got more crap than that....lift, exhaust, etc....duh!
 

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
Joined
·
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Razorbackfan said:
The dyno's are the same. The only difference is an addition of an eddy brake which allows the dyno to load the vehicle to simulate real driving and allow you to do steady state diagnostics/tuning. The "load" dyno with the eddy brake off is an inertia dyno just like the non eddy brake dyno. When he ran your truck on the "load" dyno he was using it in the inertia mode just like the other dyno.

The difference in numbers you see is because you used two different dyno's. No two will generally give you the same numbers due to calibrations. If they are the same brand and have been setup exactly the same you might get really close but there will probably still be a difference. The best thing to do is to stay with one dyno so you can accurately measure your increase in hp/tq from mods. Regardess of whether the dyno is reading low or high you still have an accurate change which is the most important.

Now the reason for the optical sensor is to get a 1:1 reading from your crankshaft for rpm purposes. You can point it at anything that rotates with the crank but you have to change your ratio to achieve the 1:1. The reason the other dyno didn't use it is because you can also get this information from the roller itself but it's not as accurate (ie quicker setup, lazy, don't have the equipment). Not using the optical pickup usually drops your torque 3 or 4 ft/lbs (at least this is what I've seen doing back to back tests with and without the optical pickup). You can also get the rpm signal from the OBDII port if you have the equipment (this is the way I do it because your getting the RPM from the computer).



Clear as mud now? :)
exactly...
well, the dynojet i ran on is what did the 490/860....IMO those #s are more correct with my mods (410/720 on tuner) and i have done more stuff since then (tranny, fuel system, etc.) but guess what? they wont do trucks anymore, only vettes and srt10s....
the mustang dyno 380/1050 i dynoed on was at scheid diesel and a few buddies wanted to so i joined in and was very dissapointed in the hp and knew the torque was too high...and i keep hearing that mustangs do high hp, etc. but it was backwards here...
the dynojet is the one that used to opical sensor too btw
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
6L strokin said:
exactly...
well, the dynojet i ran on is what did the 490/860....IMO those #s are more correct with my mods

I would go with those # too!!LOL
 

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
Joined
·
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i would rather combine them tho ryne...
490 rwhp/1050 rwtq! LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
6L strokin said:
i would rather combine them tho ryne...
490 rwhp/1050 rwtq! LOL
Sound good to me!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
It's a known fact that a load dyno will read 5-15% low.

I ran my 98 turbo ranger on a load dyno got 330RWHP couple days later ran on a dynojet and made 363RWHP


Want braging right stay off the load dyno's LOL
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top