The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Let Me See Yo Grille
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you guys would go with on a bike. Me and a couple of buddies are looking at getting new bikes and getting back into riding a lot. Have been riding 4wheelers and wheelin' in Jeeps for the last long while, but are wanting to get back into dirt bikes more. Yamaha 250? KTM? What do you guys think? Not pro riders by any means, but definitely something to have some fun on but nothing TOO insane. :popcorn:

·
TDG Singles Club #112
565 Posts
I have a YZ125 right now, bought it a year old. Little too small now though. A YZ250 would be plenty for me. Just my opinion though. Sam :grd

·
AKA - FFpsd
1,531 Posts
If you ride at tracks i'd get a 4stroke 250 or 450. Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki are so close now adays, but im partial to Yamis. If you trail ride or do hair scrambles Id get a KTM 450 or 525. The 525s tend to overheat if you don't put an aux. fan on the radiator. JM.02

·
Let Me See Yo Grille
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
probably be about 1/2 and 1/2 between trail riding and track riding. Im thinking either KTM or Yamaha 250, but I might be able to get a deal on a yamaha so that might be the deciding factor.

·
AKA - FFpsd
1,531 Posts
They are good bikes. I have an 03 yz250f....love it but I need bigger. Will probably go to a KTM as I trail ride more now.

·
Diesel Pro
2,652 Posts
I LOVE MY KTM 520 EXC, for the trails you CANNOT beat a KTM. They work so well and the are just flat out awesome. Find one and try to ride one, and you will see what i mean. Ask Heinzboy, or Betaracer, they both have KTM's too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
CRF450r for tracks maybe a X if you will be doing alot of trail riding.
If you are smaller go for a CRF250R or X.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
ok guys for someone who does all kinds of riding (desert, trails, a lil track) what do you think would be best out of the fallowing
honda 450, yamaha 450 or suzuki 450???
robert
p.s. probably want the honda or yamaha because they have lights but what do you think?

·
66 Posts
I would go with an CRF450. I personally have an XR400, i was thinking of the XR250 but my friend said to just get the 400! I was glad he did!! Now that he has a CRF450, all i can say is wow! The thing rocks but the power is controllabe by the right hand, if you get a 250, the right cant twist far enough!!!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
hahahahah

·
AKA - FFpsd
1,531 Posts
alldiesels said:
ok guys for someone who does all kinds of riding (desert, trails, a lil track) what do you think would be best out of the fallowing
honda 450, yamaha 450 or suzuki 450???
robert
p.s. probably want the honda or yamaha because they have lights but what do you think?

Out of those I would go with the Honda......Great all around bike. But if you only hit the track a little I would look at a KTM. I wasn't a fan until I road one...man are they quick.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
what ktm?
are there parts pricey??
robert

·
AKA - FFpsd
1,531 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
there some good lookin bikes
electric start??

·
Diesel Pro
2,652 Posts
yes sir ELECTRIC start even on the motorcrossers, go pick up either Dirt Bike magazine or Dirt Rider magazine and i bet you that you will see a test on some type of KTM in there. Once you go KTM you wont go Jap again. CRF450 is good, but for motorcross. The Ktm 450 XC blows away the CRF450X and the Yamaha WR450F. There has been many tests and it seems that the KTM Always wins.
check out these links
http://www.dirtrider.com/tests/offroad/141_0607_2007_ktm_xc/
http://www.dirtrider.com/tests/offroad/141_0510_2006_ktm_300_xc/

·
Registered
6 Posts
yamaha my ktm was just like a duramax made a ton of power for 2 seconds and then back to the dealer
hahaha not kidding though

·
Registered
88 Posts
KTM's have the nickname: kabooms for a reason, but their two strokes are long lived and well suited for the woods or trail riding.

What size are you (ht and wt) and what is your riding experience? age would help too.

Urging a 525 or even a 450 to a novice is just asking for trouble. I race B level hare scrambles and enduros on a 04 CR250R (honda 250 2stroke) and am going back down to the KTM 200 for this year. Tight trails and heavy bikes just wear you out faster.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
i am 6'1 155lbs I am 20 and have been riding since i was 6. until about 2 years ago i road VERY heavily at least 3 times a week. I don't ride alot of tight trails, more open stuff with some playn in the mountians, i bet about 75% of my riding will be in the desert around here
robert

·
Registered
239 Posts
I started on a YZ125, then went to a CR250, and now have a YZ 426 that I use for everything from wide open desert to trails to riding outdoor motocross tracks (like Washougal) and NO supercross tracks. I guess in my older age (mid 30's ???) I am opting for a lighter bike so the YZ 426 is up for sale.

I am with Todd...I have been eyeballin' the KTM 200 for quite a while now. Good stuff!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts