The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a set a DIY injectors. Before i get these i was just wondering how hard it will be to put the new parts on my injectors now. Like whats involved and all.
Thanks for any input.

·
The one and only
410 Posts
IMO I would never do this.

Reasons being its not to hard to build injectors. BUT if you do them wrong you are screwed. Also it is HIGHLY recommended that you have the flow benched and chances are you dont have access to a flow bench.

So IMO it was WELL worth the extra little money to have them built by someone that knows what they are doing and does them a lot and to have then flow benched so that your tuner knows what is going on so they can tune better for them.

Reactions: 7.3rambaler

·
22 Posts
I would definately go with DIY sticks. I have them but let Jim do them for you, It is cheap and you need not worry about messing up. He has a quick turnaround.

·
The one and only
410 Posts
I would definately go with DIY sticks. I have them but let Jim do them for you, It is cheap and you need not worry about messing up. He has a quick turnaround.
I have never ran Jim's injectors but I hear good things about him :thumbsup

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how much is cheap..i'm trying to decide on a hpop or stage 2 diy just for now

·
626 Posts
Get the pump--you'll need it anyway to really use Stg. II's so you might as well put it in now and get it running right before going with the big sticks.

·
The one and only
410 Posts
how much is cheap..i'm trying to decide on a hpop or stage 2 diy just for now
IMO get some 238cc hybrids. I got mine from Nate at Unlimited Diesel for around $2250. You can get some smaller hybrids if you would like but I would deff get hybrids. I'm not sure how much Jim's 230 hybrids are.

Get the pump--you'll need it anyway to really use Stg. II's so you might as well put it in now and get it running right before going with the big sticks.

With the proper tuning you can run these on a stock HPOP.

I am running mine on a stock HPOP that has over 230k on it with no problems.

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'd love to have some 238cc's but right now the money wont allow it. i just wanted to get something right now for the time being. The pump i was looking at was the adrenaline. i know its a cheep pump but thats why i'm getting it ha. The site claims 50hp with stock injectors, i know it wont be 50hp but i'll gain a little with stock injectors won't i?

·
The one and only
410 Posts
IMO Take the money you where going to spend on the pump and put it in to injectors.

·
22 Posts
I run Jim's 180 cc Stage II's on a 17° HPOP. Rarely sets a CEL.

·
The one and only
410 Posts
I run Jim's 180 cc Stage II's on a 17° HPOP. Rarely sets a CEL.
The split or single shots?

Also i know Stage II's use more oil then hybrids do.

·
22 Posts
Mine are singles.

·
The one and only
410 Posts
Then it must just be that the stage II's use more oil

·
Pulling Sled for hire
174 Posts
A lot of whether your hpop can handle the larger injectors depends on what shape your pump is in, what size nozzle you get on the injectors, and your tuning. My stock 15* pump would only hold 1700 psi with 160 cc w/ 100% nozzle. I've seen guys with the same pump and injectors hold 2400.
If your tunes call for too much oil you'll set a light all the time. Despite my stock hpop not holding pressure, the Stage 2's still made a WORLD of difference in my truck (367 hp at the time). Based on that, I say go injectors first and then hpop.

Justin

·
The one and only
410 Posts
A lot of whether your hpop can handle the larger injectors depends on what shape your pump is in, what size nozzle you get on the injectors, and your tuning. My stock 15* pump would only hold 1700 psi with 160 cc w/ 100% nozzle. I've seen guys with the same pump and injectors hold 2400.
If your tunes call for too much oil you'll set a light all the time. Despite my stock hpop not holding pressure, the Stage 2's still made a WORLD of difference in my truck (367 hp at the time). Based on that, I say go injectors first and then hpop.

Justin
:whs

But hybrids are easier on your pump with the correct and good tuning. I'm running the stock 17* pump with 230k on it with 238cc hybrids and at WOT on my hottiest file it will stay right at 2800psi and 60% duty cycle

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
alright thanks guys

·
270 Posts
Also i know Stage II's use more oil then hybrids do.
But hybrids are easier on your pump with the correct and good tuning. I'm running the stock 17* pump with 230k on it with 238cc hybrids and at WOT on my hottiest file it will stay right at 2800psi and 60% duty cycle

A few things about injectors that you appearantly don't know. It doesn't matter if it's a Hybrid or Stage-2 when talking about HPOP. A 160cc Stage-2 with a 80% nozzle (my typical Stage-2 injector) uses the same Intensifier Piston, same stroke, same nozzle as a 230 cc Hybrid w/80% nozzle (same thing as a 238 cc but they only really push 230 so that's what I call them).
All this being the same, the HPOP doesn't care, and it takes the same amount of oil and same time to empty a 160 cc Stage-2 as it does a 230 cc Hybrid with the same nozzle. In the end it comes down to condition of the HPOP so it's not real accurate to compare 2 different trucks unless they both have brand new HPOP.

Just so ya know. :thumbsup

·
The one and only
410 Posts
A few things about injectors that you appearantly don't know. It doesn't matter if it's a Hybrid or Stage-2 when talking about HPOP. A 160cc Stage-2 with a 80% nozzle (my typical Stage-2 injector) uses the same Intensifier Piston, same stroke, same nozzle as a 230 cc Hybrid w/80% nozzle (same thing as a 238 cc but they only really push 230 so that's what I call them).
All this being the same, the HPOP doesn't care, and it takes the same amount of oil and same time to empty a 160 cc Stage-2 as it does a 230 cc Hybrid with the same nozzle. In the end it comes down to condition of the HPOP so it's not real accurate to compare 2 different trucks unless they both have brand new HPOP.

Just so ya know. :thumbsup
Thanks for the info.

I was just going off what I had been told in the past but that could have been for 180cc stage II's and not 160's. Is there a difference in them?

·
The one and only
410 Posts
I just got off the phone with some people about some other things and I was told that holding ICP with a stock pump with that size injectors has a LOT to do with tuning and the way the fueling is brought on. Just some food for thought there.

·
270 Posts
I just got off the phone with some people about some other things and I was told that holding ICP with a stock pump with that size injectors has a LOT to do with tuning and the way the fueling is brought on. Just some food for thought there.
Absolutely correct!

180 cc Stage-2 use the same Piston as a 250 cc Hybrid.

But if you compare a 250cc Hybrid with a 100% or 200% over nozzle, and a 160 cc Stage-2 with a 80% over nozzle, the Hybrid will require more oil than the Stage-2.
A Larger nozzle allows to empty fuel quicker and as such takes more oil to push the Piston to push the fuel out.
Make sense?

FWIW the 230 cc Hybrids with 200% nozzles in my truck can hold 3200 psi WOT with a stock 17* pump with PHP tunes. :D

1 - 20 of 74 Posts