The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does any one have flow rates for the diy intake using the napa 6637 filter and for those of you that have one what do you think about it. i have heard that the stocker flows "400 cfm or so and a stock turbo will bring in 700 or so @25psi of boost."(quote by pocket) i have a stock turbo with a superior compresser wheel(killed my surge dead)i am dumping my stocker moded air box(got more holes than a cheese grader)w/k&N filter ya ya i know k&n:badidea: :blah: :blah: :blah: i have put 80000 miles on it and oil reports still comeback very good no dusting. anyways mods have forced me to more air so tell me what you think
thank you in advance steve

·
862 Posts
On another forum someone actually did dyno runs comparing the 6637, AFE Stage II, and no filter. The 6637 had a slightly higher HP result on the dyno than the AFE, with of course running no filter netting the highest result. His testing was 3 runs with each configuration (so 9 runs total), and he averaged the result of all 3 for each filter or lack thereof.

In short, the 6637 will flow all the air you need.

What's funny is the 6637 filter is only "rated" at 420 CFM's or something like that off the Baldwin website, with the stock filter/airbox "rated" at 280. Of course, both the 6637 and the stock airbox can flow more than they are rated.

·
1,726 Posts
I have a 6637 and like it mostly due to the paper element.

You will not be sacraficing power with one but they don't look as cool as some of the high end intakes.

If you want the largest and highest flowing filter that you can get then look here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Super-Heavy-Duty-Ford-Powerstroke-7-3L-94-03-Intake-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ38634QQihZ011QQitemZ320219478817QQtcZphoto

That is a custom ordered AFE filter that is the same dimensions as a 6637 filter. A forum member has reported that he found the 6637 filter to pull 15" of water @ WOT and this filter to pull 10" of water @ WOT. His truck has a TN BB turbo and Stage 1 injectors. Dyno's around 360 to 385 hp.

·
862 Posts
Well I went back and found the thread on FTE where the guy dynoed the 6637 and the AFE. I forgot that he only did one run with fuel only, and the other two runs for each filter was with NOS. So he didn't average anything out (my bad), but he did post his corrected HP numbers. Obviously his truck is not stock, so if you do choose the 6637 filter, you won't have any problem getting enough air with your mods:

Ok I ran the dyno today with the Tymar, AFE, and open element. Wanted to know for myself what was what so here are the specs:

3 runs with the tymar netted:
1st run on #2=413.7rwhp
2nd run on No2=481.1rwhp
3rd run on No2=481.3rwhp

3 runs with AFE stage2 netted:
1st run on #2=407.0rwhp
2nd run on No2=473.1rwhp
3rd run on No2=472.9rwhp

3 runs with open element netted:
1st run on #2=424.9rwhp
2nd run on No2=493.1rwhp
3rd run on No2=492.3rwhp

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i assume this is with a ccv reroute and the stock ccv piece removed? out of the intake ?

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you didnt do the ccv reroute there would be a retriction at that little plastic piece where it connects to the intake right? i ordered my dp tuner yesterday and i dont want to starve it for air so i was planning on doing the 6637 diy and the ccv reroute and delete that plastic piece @ the ccv i want to try and reuse some /all of the stock piping form the air box to the turbo w/a few pieces of 4" where needed?

·
862 Posts
That vent tube really doesn't restrict like you think it might. If you were to get on the dyno pre and post CCV mod, then it wouldn't even show up as gained HP.

The CCV mod is simply to help keep the engine bay clean, keep the intercooler boots from popping off, and not much else. It's not designed as a mod for additional power. Sorry.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I took my Stock air box out and still used all the stock tubing and put a K&N filter on seems to be working fine.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i know that the ccv is not a hp gain i was thinking that the whole piece where the little pipe is is restricive as far as it necks down a bunch thats where i thought the hp loss could posibibly be. ya know 4"out of the air filter then it goes thru that piece and necks down under 3" then out to the turbo i would be interested to see some flow #'s on that with/without?

·
862 Posts
Actually, that CCV piece is still 4 inches. It's the tube after the CCV coupler that reduces down to the 3" turbo inlet. That's why many guys who do the CCV mod just stick a 4" O/D piece of exhaust pipe in there. Perfect fit with the stock tubes.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes the piece is a 4"o/d but when i looked in mine there is like a 1/2" step on the bottom below where the ccv pipe sticks up looking at it i thought it would restrick flow but i guess not thank you for all of your time

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bump

·
1,726 Posts
What exactly are you still wanting to know?

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just a bump for another member sorry

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
and bumpin again for all our newbies

·
Bolt
109 Posts
i did the mod yesterday and man what a change it made!

·
31 Posts
Filter mod

Did this a while back, have never put turck on a dyno, so I don't have any numbers. when running empty realy can't tell much, but when pulling trailer loaded with around 7000 lb pay load , you can really hear the turbo sing when going up a long steep hill. With the cruise control set at 72 it rarely drops below 70.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 36 Posts