The Diesel Garage banner

Do you think the military gets paid fairly?

• Yes, they signed up for it we can pay them with dirt.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, they get paid what they should for the job they do.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • No, they don't make enough money but close.

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • No, they should be getting paid a lot more for what they do.

Votes: 42 68.9%
  • No clue on how much they make...

Votes: 7 11.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
I now drive a Duramax...
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty simple thread. Just curious...

·
I now drive a Duramax...
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured I would see what people think, rather than what gets put on TV.

·
1,409 Posts
No enlisted personnel make what they should. There are a bunch of officers I knew that should have been paid in dirt.

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts

·
TDG Official Poo Flinger
5,268 Posts
24/7....16 years and going

told when to pee, told when to sleep, told when to wake up, told when to eat...

I make under $4 an hour, after taxes

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
Well, I gross $8.33/hour in a 30-day month. If I get deployed it's more like $8.93/hour but thankfully tax-free.

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
No where near enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those people have sworn their life to this country and all we can pay them is poverty level pay!!!

Buck2 I agree with fire fighters and policemen not making enough but I do think that teachers make a fair amount of money. When someone can work 9 months a year and get 70K, I think their pay is in line.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts

Those people have sworn their life to this country and all we can pay them is poverty level pay!!!

Buck2 I agree with fire fighters and policemen not making enough but I do think that teachers make a fair amount of money. When someone can work 9 months a year and get 70K, I think their pay is in line.
Dont confuse college professors and teachers. My dad was a teacher for almost 20 years and when he left was only making 38K. I now, at 24 years old, make 34K. No, teachers are not paid enough. Professors at colleges are a different story.

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts

I know this started about Military pay, but I would like to point out that School adminstators such as Principals and Superintendents may make $70K or more. In most areas public school teachers without special qualifications start between $18K and $28K. A quick search says the national aveage of all teachers is just over $50k.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
As for voting, I believe Soldiers are not paid enough. The higher ups, Admirals and such, get paid very nicely.

·
TDG Official Poo Flinger
5,268 Posts
Well, I gross $8.33/hour in a 30-day month. If I get deployed it's more like $8.93/hour but thankfully tax-free.
Should I be calling you Sir???...because I make less than $4 an hour,..and you double that....

06?

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
Tank, I get some special pays. My pay grade is E-7 with 15 years. I get Demo pay (EOD), Assignment Incentive pay(EOD) and Special Duty Assignment Pay(EOD); which come to $1125/month.

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
I have no idea. I hear there are Bonus's?! Its free schooling if you want to take that into account.. how about insurance? Dont they alot of times pay an X amount for living expenses, food and so on. :shrugs

·
TDG Official Poo Flinger
5,268 Posts
I have no idea. I hear there are Bonus's?! Its free schooling if you want to take that into account.. how about insurance? Dont they alot of times pay an X amount for living expenses, food and so on. :shrugs
that is what you see in commercials on TV,...gotta read the fine print.....it's not as "hunky dory" as they play all the "benefits" up like they do.

living expenses....LOL...I wish..
food...just for me...323.47 per month,...and that was alreay figured into my whopping $3.94 an hour.

soooo....if you take the food pay(BAS) away...I make 3.49 an hour

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
that is what you see in commercials on TV,...gotta read the fine print.....it's not as "hunky dory" as they play all the "benefits" up like they do.
I have no insurance/benefits., its not cheap thats why i dont have it.. Schooling costs to much as well, Its the reason im still swings Sled hammers and break my back every day. Friend used to do the same. gave it up one day and said im going into the service.. "anything is easier".. hes been in the navy as a hydrolic aviation mechanic. Says he loves it, better money, school was paid for and work isnt as hard.. Not saying every job is like that, its just an example.

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
The bennies....roughly $300/month for food if you are married or live off-base. Housing allowance is based on Pay Grade, location and marital status and ranges from $500+ to well over $2K/month but is generally nowhere near close to what it costs to live there.

School is free for the most part, unless you fail. I have taken classes and it worked out well. Even with on-line courses it can be nearly impossible to take the classes we need. GI Bill? We pay $1200 for $14400. It is a good deal.

Insurance? What insurance? We have to wait for three hours in the ER, behind dependopotamus with stubbed toes and colds, while we have a chisel ran through our hands. Seriously the health care is terrible. We get great care while deployed. We also get a statement saying what our compensation is worth and I will gladly take what Congress says my medical is worth and buy insurance and see good Doctors.

·
TDG Official Poo Flinger
5,268 Posts
sniffles = Motrin
laceration = Motrin
broken leg = Motrin w/ tylenol
Bronchitis = Motrin w/ nasty throat lozenges.

yeah....our health care is awesome....LOL

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
sniffles = Motrin
laceration = Motrin
broken leg = Motrin w/ tylenol
Bronchitis = Motrin w/ nasty throat lozenges.

yeah....our health care is awesome....LOL
:haha:haha:haha

Army Style....

Headache, nausea, vomiting, heat stroke = drink water
Continued headache, nausea, vomiting, heat stroke = Motrin and water
Superficial Laceration = rub some dirt on it and drink water
Broken bone = rub some dirt on it, cast, motrin and drink water

1 - 20 of 60 Posts