The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
You can call me French
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a guy that goes to my church and would like to delete the DOC/DPF. I was wondering if you could do the delete and not run a programmer? He wants to keep the truck as close to stock as possible so he doesnt void his warranty. I know that deleting the DOC/DPF will void the warranty, but can't you just put the stock system back on if he had to take it to the dealer? Forgive me if I'm asking dumb questions, I'm still learning the 6.4L.

-Josh

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
He can get a DPF-R kit that will just replace the DPF but not the DOC.

Tell him that if he wants to loose the pipes then he should go with Spartan or SCT. He can run low tunes or even just a delete tune. either way you run the risk of voiding the warranty.

·
You can call me French
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He can get a DPF-R kit that will just replace the DPF but not the DOC.

Tell him that if he wants to loose the pipes then he should go with Spartan or SCT. He can run low tunes or even just a delete tune. either way you run the risk of voiding the warranty.
His main worry is that if he runs any kind of programming that it will leave a footprint on his computer. It's a brand new truck with only 8,000 miles on it. He mainly wants to do some upgrades to get better fuel economy while still retaining the factory warranty.

-Josh

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
You can take off a Spartan tuner and it will be very hard for a ford tech to find that their was ever a tuner on it. Spartan will get him around 3mpg and a ton of power. Ive had mine on since 4500 miles.

·
1,077 Posts
If he's scared of ford voiding his warranty because of a tuner he's gonna have to run a tuner if he's taking his dpf of anyways. Imo you might as well have the power and mpg if your gonna take that ***** off. If there's a tech that finds it on the ecm he will find it if the truck was tuned with 500 horse just the same as he'll find it with a stock delete file. Besides you get better mpg with a race file anyways.

·
68 Posts
And if he blows his engine don't go crying to Ford for warranty just get out the checkbook and get ready for a $12,000 repair bill. They will know it was tuned.

·
124 Posts
And if he blows his engine don't go crying to Ford for warranty just get out the checkbook and get ready for a $12,000 repair bill. They will know it was tuned.
:goodvsevil
Pllllllllleeeeeassssssssssssssseeeeee stop with the obvious.

If you smoke, you run the risk of cancer. Thousands in medical bills. :bang:
If you drink, you run the risk of liver disease. Thousands in medical bills.:bang:
If you eat fatty foods, you run the risk of obesity and high blood pressure. Thousands in medical bills.:bang:
If you run with scissors you run the risk of injury.

After years and years of tuners, and thousands of vehicles running them, is it really worth reiterating in every post ? As with the examples above, there is inherent risk that we consciously take.

What a great country that we all have choice :usflag. Pointed noted and will be archived for future reference :happymugs

·
1,077 Posts

How do you figure that? There are TONS of guys that have tuned trucks that have blown up and have had no problem with warranty...

·
7 Posts
Talking with a ford service rep. he states that they cannot tell if you had a tuner on your truck. Just make sure its back to stock before you bring the truck in for service.

·
You can call me French
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies guys. Looks like he is getting the delete kit and a Spartan with the 275 tune. This should be fun.

-Josh

·
Registered
59 Posts
May I add....So far Spartan has been undectable. There have been some guys have the Ford field service engineer come out with their laptops and they couldn't find anything:thumbsup

·
1,077 Posts
Stock trucks blow up to genious. I know countless 6.0 that have blown up with tuners and got warranty and I've only known of 1 6.4 that's blown up that was tuned and the tuner was unable to be traced through the ecm and the motor was replaced under warranty. I don't think you know enough about these trucks or tuners, or know as many guys that have them as I do to be telling me what I've seen and heard is BS.

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
Search the forums, and you wont find any blow motors due to tuners. at least spartan hasnt done anything bad.

·
You can call me French
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whats the best place to get the parts. Does Spartan sell their tuners and the DOC/DPF as a kit. I also have seen a vendor on here called DPFdeletes.com, anybody have any experiance with them?

Thanks, Josh

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
Yes, Spartan comes with the Dash Daq and 3 tunes. But you can also order the pipes with it. There are a few vendors on here that sell Spartan Kits.

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
Stock trucks blow up to genious. I know countless 6.0 that have blown up with tuners and got warranty and I've only known of 1 6.4 that's blown up that was tuned and the tuner was unable to be traced through the ecm and the motor was replaced under warranty. I don't think you know enough about these trucks or tuners, or know as many guys that have them as I do to be telling me what I've seen and heard is BS.
i agree. there are always motors that give up bone stock and some fully tuned ones that go for a LONG time without any problems. if you tune it you run the risk, yes thats a given, but thats always a part of tuning ANYTHING.

Garrett

·
68 Posts
Hey "genious" (correctly spelled genius) if read your warranty on your 6.4 you would know that if you tune a truck by reprogramming the Engine Control Module and or removing emission control equipment you will lose your 5 year 100,000 mile engine warranty. Should anyone have major or minor engine damage Ford can and will look at the ECM and inspect your emission control equipment. Ford can read into the programing to see the number of times the program in ECM has been loaded. If it does not match the times Ford has loaded the program the warranty is voided. With the current economic condition of the automobile companies they are looking to save money anyway they can. On a blown engine the engineers can look at the pistons and see the telltale star injection pattern on the pistons indicating a change from stock injection piston marks. Ford/Navistar designed the engine and the engine control programming and know what to look for and how to find out if programming was altered, removed or changed.

Now for the legal issues. It is illegal and against Federal Law to remove or tamper with EPA mandated emission control equipment. Period. You get caught without a DPF and DOC you can be fined thousands of dollars. I addition although it is not done yet there will be sections of the country, especially in California, where emissions will be tested on diesel engines yearly in order to get or renew your license tag. This is obviously being done on gasoline engines now. The black smoke from a diesel engine that had the DPF removed from the exhaust is illegal for the street.

As I stated do whatever you want on your truck just don't expect Ford to cover engine damage caused by overstressing engine parts as a result of changing engine operating parameters with the use of programmers or removing stock emission control devices. Don't believe that you can fool the programmers that designed and tested the engine control programming and the engineers who designed, tested and built the engine. If you change the stock programming and try to put it back the way it was and not realize that it can be detected should you have a problem you would be rolling the dice on a game you can't win. These guys are too smart. Just because you hear a story that one guy got away with it one time don't think you got them beat.

·
1,077 Posts
Ill put it this way. Until I hear of ford DENYING warranty bacause of a tuned truck I will continue to believe that SOME tuners aren't detectable. Some tuners aren't layered and if you have warm ups and hrs on the truck they have to prove that it was ****ed with. And as for the emissions... Its not against the law to remove your emissions stuff here.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts