The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now since im posting this in the doge forum i no yal are all gona rag on ford but i want some true honest answers i had an 03 ford 6.0 with just a chip in it and its would smoke jus about anything i rolled up against but i lost my license and sold it i plan on goin to college when i get my license back and need a truck i want to no wat im goin to have to do to make an 02 dodge 6 speed run with my 6.0 but im gona be driveing about 800 miles to and from school once a month or so so i want something reliable and good mileage my brother has an 06 dodge and talked me into buyin one

·
strokin now cummin later!
1,116 Posts
first off get an auto truck. second what did your truck run on the track or what kinda of hp did it have.
my buddy has a dodge for sale all u need is a new turbo and put the mach 7's back in (he still has them) and you be makin around 750rwhp with it again.
15,500 if anyones intestead.

·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had the sct with custom tunes i dunno wat i ran and i dont want an auto it has to be a stick

·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it dynoed at 425

·
3,514 Posts
425 won't be that hard to hit. The part that sucks about a stick is off the line. once you're rolling it will be just as fast though. The other problem is that if you're getting an 02 6spd, its an H.O. which doesn't respond as well to electronics, and the pump isn't as capable of producing as much power as an S.O. An edge drag comp, mach 3's and a 62/13 should get you into the 425 range without any issues. On my friends old 01 we built with HRVP, Drag comp, mach 4's and an HX40 it got close to 500 on the dyno, and would run high 12's low 13's pretty easily. That was an auto though.
Sean

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
Actually for better milage get a manual... Plus a 1200$ clutch is alot better then a 5500 dollar tranny... my buddies 99 ext sb,2x4 is getting 19.2 city

Just watch out for the lift pumps and injector pumps... I would get a affter market lift pump before I do ANYTHING to it...

·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so would i be better off to get a 5speed instead of the 6 speed H.0 sorry for all the stupid questions ive been a ford guy my hole life but my brother jus changed me over to a dodge guy

·
165 Posts
Id say that if you pull heavy loads all the time then get a 6 speed but if you mainly just daily driver it and want it to be a fast manual tran. then the 5 would be the way to go. I have never had the chance to drive my style with a 6 speed but with my dads 03 6 speed, you have to shift alot more in stop and go stitutions then mine, but you can tell the 6 speed tran. ratio gears are set up more for pulling.

·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea but sstockton said that the H.0 doesent respond well with electronics and cant gets as much power out of the pump and im guessing that the 6 speed is the H.0

·
3,514 Posts
If power is your goal, then the S.O. pumps are more capable than the pump that is put on the H.O. However, you could just throw a Hot Rod Vp44 on it, and you would be just fine, however thats going to set you back another $1500 or so. Personally I really like the 6 spds, and it is entirely possible to make 500hp on fuel with one, but you'll need some big sticks to do it. They don't respond poorly to electronics either, just not as well as the S.O. does.

So there are ways around it, but it will cost you a little bit.
Sean

·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so you can get more power out of a S.0 with out replacing the vp 44 and are all 6 speeds H.0s

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
sstockton said:
If power is your goal, then the S.O. pumps are more capable than the pump that is put on the H.O. However, you could just throw a Hot Rod Vp44 on it, and you would be just fine, however thats going to set you back another $1500 or so. Personally I really like the 6 spds, and it is entirely possible to make 500hp on fuel with one, but you'll need some big sticks to do it. They don't respond poorly to electronics either, just not as well as the S.O. does.

So there are ways around it, but it will cost you a little bit.
Sean

Still a H.O./ETH isn't as good to make power with as a S.O./ETC because of the higher compression pistons. I think the ETH engines are really limited on stock pistons.
H.O./ETH = 17.1:1
S.O./ETC = 16.3:1

By the way. I'm not sure a ETH/DEE would ever touch 6.0/Auto as far as racing. Those 6.0's are quick.

The ETH have got to be the best engines for MPG. Mine does over 20 MPG and I don't even have the CAD system on mine even. I will admit I do pamper it quite a bit tough.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
7.3stroker said:
so you can get more power out of a S.0 with out replacing the vp 44 and are all 6 speeds H.0s

Not all 6speeds are H.O.'s, but all H.O.'s are 6 speeds. There are some 6 speeds floating around with a S.O. but they are quite rare. Espically the 2001 and 2002's.

As far as making power w/o replacing the VP44 yes it is easier on the S.O/ETC. Just look at the H.O./ETH as a STUBBORN engine to make power on, compared to the S.O/ETC engine. You can make just as much power on a ETH as you can a ETC but you need to replace the Pistons and Injection pump.

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
Not only that I think they stopped making parts for the 6spd's NOT SURE THO.. all I know is alot of guys that pull want the 5psd's

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
You are correct they quit making parts for the NV5600 6 speed. But people that pull trailers still like them because it's just a solid unit. Now if you are modding I don't know what starts breaking on these. But I think they hold up pretty good after a clutch is in. The NV5600 is huge and heavy (465 lbs). I think the NV5600 was used in some med duty trucks. Not for sure on that one.

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
Phily 911 said:
You are correct they quit making parts for the NV5600 6 speed. But people that pull trailers still like them because it's just a solid unit. Now if you are modding I don't know what starts breaking on these. But I think they hold up pretty good after a clutch is in. The NV5600 is huge and heavy (465 lbs). I think the NV5600 was used in some med duty trucks. Not for sure on that one.
ooooooohhhh beleive me... I know... I know!!!!:splat :damnit

Either way if your going to build a truck, drive train wise its cheaper to get a billet input/output aand clutch VS a fully built tranny I wish I have the NV4500

·
Registered
422 Posts
Another downside to a stick is that you lose alot of your boost when you shift. With a s.o. pump, 125 hp injectors, and a drag comp or juice/attitude, turbo, fuel system, and intake/exhaust. you should be over 425.

It usually takes close to another hundred horse out of a stick to beat a auto. Give or take for how the driver shifts...

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
StrokeThisGoat said:
Another downside to a stick is that you lose alot of your boost when you shift. With a s.o. pump, 125 hp injectors, and a drag comp or juice/attitude, turbo, fuel system, and intake/exhaust. you should be over 425.

It usually takes close to another hundred horse out of a stick to beat a auto. Give or take for how the driver shifts...

Ya I would much rather a have 47RE or a 48RE in my truck vs. my
6 Speed/NV5600/DEE

But I do like my ETH engine though. Good fuel mileage, and I'm not planning on adding any fuel to make power. The little power I plan on adding will be by timing, air flow, fluids, etc. The stuff that helps out MPG.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Well he already said he wanted a stick so I'm not gonna argue that (although its a great choice :Thumbup:) And to feel competitive w/ an auto you don't have to run the same times, most people don't power brake and drag from light to light.

The HO NV5600 is a better trans than the 5-speed NV4500 IMO. Its tougher, has the big input shaft, and doesn't have the stupid fifth gear problems.

For 450hp it shouldn't be that big of deal on the pumps/pistons. So maybe some bigger injectors or a hotter program, its only 450hp

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Dual K20s said:
For 450hp it shouldn't be that big of deal on the pumps/pistons. So maybe some bigger injectors or a hotter program, its only 450hp

Your right. I kind of over looked that. Ya I don't think 450 should be a problem then. I get lost with the amount of people on here that want to drag a tank backwords.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and hope I don't get pooh flinged at me on guessing at the limits of the ETH. I'd say 500-550 could be possible on stock pistons and i/p. 600-650 with stock pistons.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts