The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck seems to cough/sputter between 17-1800 rpms. I recently had it returned to stock for about 3 weeks and it did the same thing but not as bad as tuned. I had the egr vavle replaced while stick and thought maybe that had something to do with it, but nothing changed. I don't remember it doing it this summer while temps were warmer, but it definately shows up now that temps are cool (not sure if this has anything to do with it or not). I am running the spartan on 75hp tune for the winter, dpf off.

Anyone else, any ideas?? THanks!

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
Exhaust back pressure sensor could be going bad. I would think that while they had the truck in to replace the EGR valve that they hooked up an IDS to check for all of the codes. Who knows though with some of the techs out there these days.

When I had a stack on my truck, I had a bad EBP sensor and the truck would sputter at little bit at a certain RPM. It was audible through the exhaust (stack behind my back glass).

·
TDG Official Poo Flinger
5,268 Posts
spammmer!!!!

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when were the fuel filters changed?
a couple of thousand miles ago, that was my first thought, didn't change anything

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exhaust back pressure sensor could be going bad. I would think that while they had the truck in to replace the EGR valve that they hooked up an IDS to check for all of the codes. Who knows though with some of the techs out there these days.

When I had a stack on my truck, I had a bad EBP sensor and the truck would sputter at little bit at a certain RPM. It was audible through the exhaust (stack behind my back glass).
They said there were no codes when they replaced the egr valve, but they were able to do some "other tests" to verify that it was indeed bad. I had done my homework before taking it in and told them that i thought this was the problem.

It acts like a two stroke engine when at a certain rpm it's either to lean or to rich, only it's a diesel?

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it raining when you notice the sputter? The intercooler can lose a lot of efficiency in rain and cause similar problems.
I have not noticed it being any worse during rain, but then again we haven't had any rain around here for 2 months, only in the frozen state!

·
1,415 Posts
another vote for the EBP sensor its fairly cheap and make sure the tube is clear

Reactions: honda_guy4

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone happen to know the part number for the EBP sensor? Is it an easy one to replace, where is it located? Thanks!

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure what the part number is, but it is located on the drivers side valve cover behind the fuel cooler.
Thanks! Found the part number: 7E7Z-9J460-AA in case anyone else is looking for it, hopefully this solves my problems.

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
Thanks! Found the part number: 7E7Z-9J460-AA in case anyone else is looking for it, hopefully this solves my problems.
Is that the DPF pressure sensor part number or the exhaust back pressure sensor part number. The DPF pressure sensor part number is floating around all over the place....but the EBP sensor part number is much harder to find.

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Local ford dealer has one in stock, going to pick it up tomorrow, and install and see if it helps.

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
7E7Z-9J460-AA

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Replaced EBP sensor this afternoon, so far seems better (kind of hard to tell yet though, as i only drove it about 5 miles back to my house from my shop). Time will tell, i am cleaning my air filter now as well as i noticed it was pretty dirty. Will keep you guys updated, thanx.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts