The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a Silverado SS but an considering selling it to join the diesel crowd. I am also a previous Ford Lightning owner. So, needless to say, I like fast trucks!! I have no use for a 4WD and am researching to see if GM made a 2WD diesel in 04/05? I dont see anything on Ebay. Thanks in advance.

·
706 Posts
Yes,they did make 2wd in every configuration.They seem to be rare up here in the northeast.Heavy diesel engines,lots of torque and 2wd adds up to a truck that is worthless in the rain,snow,mud or on boat launches,so not many buy them here.If you can swing 45K for a new diesel,most will pony up the extra few grand and get 4wd.If you find one,you should be able to get a good deal on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, thanks alot for the info. I found 1 on Auto trader, it was a reg cab and was the work truck config with no carpet. My thought is to modify it to make it comparble to my old Lightning. A hotrod 2wd diesel basically. Should be cheaper than buying another Lightning and funner to drive/play with. I'm thinking i would like an extended cab version though. Looking to spend no more than $22,000. Is this a resonable project I'm thinking of doing?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
jster171 said:
OK, thanks alot for the info. I found 1 on Auto trader, it was a reg cab and was the work truck config with no carpet. My thought is to modify it to make it comparble to my old Lightning. A hotrod 2wd diesel basically. Should be cheaper than buying another Lightning and funner to drive/play with. I'm thinking i would like an extended cab version though. Looking to spend no more than $22,000. Is this a resonable project I'm thinking of doing?
It will be easier to make a 4wd faster then Lightning and you don't have to change tires at the track :woot:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I assume you suggest a 4WD for traction purposes? What would it take to get the 2wd to perform as a 12 second truck IF it had the proper traction? I'm trying to figure out what mods I would need to make the diesel perform as a FAST street truck like a lightning does. My old Lighting had 425HP and nearly 500TQ at the tires.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Getcha a spare set of rear wheels and get a set of slicks and some type of traction bars such as cal-tracs. It would definetly be a fun truck.

·
3,754 Posts
as said they did make them but not many made cause trucks are supposed to be 4x4 lol

·
Registered
422 Posts
:agreed:

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
Just get what you want and do a conversion with mods!!!!! Come on man!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
2wd is kick ***

ya i own a 2wd crew cab short bed 04 lb7. like you i also have no need for
4wd. it was accually easier to find a 2wd for cheaper then a 4wd. 2wd is lighter and does get beter gas mileage but traction is a problem so plan on geting some slicks for the strip. and good luck to you and the diesel scene.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2wd

ya i own a 2wd crew cab short bed 04 lb7. like you i also have no need for
4wd. it was accually easier to find a 2wd for cheaper then a 4wd. 2wd is lighter and does get beter gas mileage but traction is a problem so plan on geting some slicks for the strip. and good luck to you and the diesel scene.

·
Registered
32 Posts
of course

1 - 12 of 12 Posts