The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i finally broke my weakest link last weekend. Anyone else having problems with breaking the flexplate. If so what did you go back with. I was going to try the laminated one but desided to go with the ATS billet one. Anyone have the same problem???

·
3,514 Posts
wow, the only people that I know have had flex plate problems had 3rd gens. I was under the impression that the 2nd gens had a better one, but maybe not.
Sean

·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well thats what i thought. I havent pulled the tranny yet. But there were a bunch of metal pieces on the dust dover. And the motor will not turn over but there is one hell of a noise coming from the bell housing. I should have the billet one in tomorrow and i am going to see if it really is the flexplate. Its the only thing it can be. I am about 99% sure its not the crank.

·
713 Posts
Broken flexplates are pretty common for higher hp trucks, I have seen many posts on TDR about this topic. If your truck wont turn over as you said then it is most likely the flexplate. You are right for choosing a billet one, the laminated ones just use TWO centers off of stock flexplates(I think/ looks like) that are welded together for strength. I am in bad need of one, I just gotta wait on the $$$ for one.

Mike

B

·
0 Posts
Broken flex plates were most common in the 1st Gens, although with enough horsepower a stock one will fail in any Generation. You did right by thinking Billet.

·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i put it in last night. And thats what it was. i will post a pic up so yall can see. It had stress cracks all over it. I someone were to leave their motor running after it breaks i promise it will get into the rear main seal in the block and might ruin the adapter plate. I didnt let the motor run for any longer than about 1 minute after it broke and it still came close to getting into the rear main. It still kindof messed up the pillot shaft on the converter. Not bad enough to ruin it but i had to get a file after it to smoth it up enought to get it in the hole in the new plate. The ATS Flex Plate i used is awsome. It looked 10,000 times better than the factory one. I would recommend to anyone that is get a new tranny or has high HP to get a billet flex plate as well.

·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I downloaded all the pics on here but cant figure out how to post them in this message.

·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
have you guys eve seen one crack, but not break?? were working on a customers 24v that sounds like it has a valve knocking but we adjusted the valves and there good, pulled the dustcover and seams like the flexplate has alot of flex to it, anyone ever runinto this issue?
robert

1 - 10 of 10 Posts