The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I tried searching, and couldnt find anything.

Has anyone ever added lights to the little red reflectors in the doors of their trucks? I know earlier ones came with half red/clear lenses and lights, and later ones, like my '04 are all red with no lights, but with the hole for a 194/168 bulb socket.

Is there power in the doors already for the lights, either with the dome light, or even with the headlights turned on (I wouldnt mind them being on all the time with the parking/headlights)

Id really rather not run wires into the doors, especially the rear ones.

Thanks for any info.

·
9 STECK
164 Posts
Did this to my truck. I found some liscense plate lights at PEP BOYS that had the same little cross quarter turn bulb socket that fit perfectly in the front doors. I did however have to run wires into the doors from the interior lights to power them. At the same time, I also installed small LED strips in the exterior door handles powered by the interior lights aswell. Did the rear doors too. On them, I used a unibit to drill a hole through the plastic of the interior door panel, and mounted a small LED light behind the hole on the sheetmetal of the door. The LED lights I ordered from J&P Cycles. They are used primarily for motorcycles, but figured they would work good if they got wet. Been functional for 3 years now.
Hope this helps.
OFH

·
5,365 Posts
I did this <years ago>...to the front doors, have thought about doin' it to the rear doors
too, but never got around to it.

Jack <aka toomanytoys> has a set of step by step pictorials that show
you EVERY step including door panel removal, kick panel removal, sill plate
removal, how to run the wire & where to pick up the door light circuit black wire
with a blue tracer.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/81682178SSswkv

·
5,365 Posts
there are NO wires in the doors for this...you need to run 'em, but again Jack's photos
show you EXACTLY how to do it (run the wires thru the door jamb harness rubber boot.

the bulbs get pretty warm, i would recommend AGAINST having 'em on all the time.

·
7.3 addict
644 Posts
Don is there anything on here you can't find?:bravo

·
5,365 Posts
anything related to WORK, i try to IMMEDIATELY forget ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts