The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what the stuff is that people are putting through the door seal to help seal it better? I hope to take care of it today. I have looked a few minutes on here for that modbut cant find it...any help is appreciated..thanks

·
862 Posts
3/8" latex tubing. You can pick that up at Lowes, or order some online. My crew cab used 56 feet to do all 4 doors. Your extended cab will use a bit less.

·
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot Pocket

·
TDG Single Club Member#14
1,086 Posts
Some people have used solid 3/8's foam cord it can be picked up at lowes and home depot

·
Black Smoke Junkie
356 Posts
How does this work exactly and what does it do? (obviously it seals the door but is it seriously better.)

·
106 Posts
why are you trying to seal the door better? are you get some wind noise or what? just wondering.

BG

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
most vehicles on a very windy day will get some air threw the cracks ect and the noise is what sucks. This ensures they are sealed even tighter. kinda like plugging the pipe to the egr valve. just helps insure things will be ok for a bit longer.

·
812 Posts
how do you mount the tubing?

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
you lube it up real good and use something of your choice to pull it threw the original seal, remove the seal lay it out lube up tube and pull tube threw. done.

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
Flopster843 said:
The door seal mod. You will need about 60 ft of 3/8"OD 1/4"ID clear poly vinyl tubing from home depot/lowes. I bought 65ft and had about 5ft left over. I'll cost you about $13. Remove the door seals from the truck (self explanitory after you look at them, just pull them off) and lay them out on the floor. Take some standard weed-eater string and snake it thru the hole in the middle of the door seal. Tape that string to the hose you bought, wet the hose with soapy water, and then pull back thru the seal. Once the hose fits good, cut off any extra and then re-install the door seal on your truck. There is no adhesive/glue of any type. It clamps onto a lip around your door. Should be able to have all 4 doors done in about 2 hours, working at an easy pace.

:Thumbup:

·
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bg_02_f250 said:
why are you trying to seal the door better? are you get some wind noise or what? just wondering.

BG

I just want a tighter seal on my doors. The seals have worn out and I would like to beef them up and make a better seal.

Thanks for all the info guys...

:Thumbup: :thanks:

·
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
4,396 Posts
This was an Idea I came up with to cure a rattling door issue I had on the 03'. I used the Maclenburg Duncan caulking rope that was 3/8" dia. As stated you take the seal off the truck, I used the wife vacuum cleaner to pull a string throught the seal then pulled the rope through. When you reinstall the seal leave the rope inside the one end and outside the other end then at the last push the long end into the open end to make an overlapping seal. Tighten the seals up nicely, the doors quit rattling and closed firmer.

Some people have used the caulking rope, some have used the vinyl tube, and some have used the laytex tube, all seem to work fine, it is just what is readly available to you.

LargeCar:usflag :mafia :usflag

·
0 Posts
Does this solve the squeaking seals? My rear doors squeak something fierce when it gets colder outside...enough to drive me bat-crap nuts.

·
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
4,396 Posts
It helps a lot, and I'd give them a squirt of silicon spray then wipe them down.

LargeCar:usflag :mafia :usflag

·
Still kickin
670 Posts
4cstr said:
Does this solve the squeaking seals? My rear doors squeak something fierce when it gets colder outside...enough to drive me bat-crap nuts.
The door seal mod didn't help my squeaking seals any. But the silicon spray like LC said did help. I just need to find some that I don't have to re-apply every few weeks.

·
Cloud Booster 500HP
268 Posts
vaseline or dielectric

·
149 Posts
slip plate lube

1 - 19 of 19 Posts