The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on my old 76 peterbilt and really would like to find a webpage or something I can print, or someone that is very savvy about dot regulations. I need to know what needs to be repaired or the requirments I need to meet. Any help is apreciated.

·
Registered
489 Posts
:)the dot(bit) inspection is a little different about level 1 which they do in the scales, but i can give you a tip ,(any way you have for 3 year for IRS)you need to show all the log books for a year the inspector compares your log book with your payroll + miles
they will ask you a inspection for 90 days for a mechanic authorize(4 inspection for year maintenance) ,they will also test you drugs and alcohol ,also inspect your brakes the cutting and cut out(verbal test) all the alarms have to work this inspection ,(clean under carrier) they can do it in your house or the company you work in with appointment if you are 0/0 need show your CA current ,road taxes ,insurance, and registration:usflag

·
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I take my truck to the peterbilt dealer here in town for an inspection is that the paper that they will be using?

·
Registered
489 Posts
If I take my truck to the peterbilt dealer here in town for an inspection is that the paper that they will be using?
!!!nnaaa!!! is to expensive a dot only cost $35 and any place they give those forms, if you need send my a PM and i send you via fax the forms:knight

·
1,271 Posts
:)the dot(bit) inspection is a little different about level 1 which they do in the scales, but i can give you a tip ,(any way you have for 3 year for IRS)you need to show all the log books for a year the inspector compares your log book with your payroll + miles
they will ask you a inspection for 90 days for a mechanic authorize(4 inspection for year maintenance) ,they will also test you drugs and alcohol ,also inspect your brakes the cutting and cut out(verbal test) all the alarms have to work this inspection ,(clean under carrier) they can do it in your house or the company you work in with appointment if you are 0/0 need show your CA current ,road taxes ,insurance, and registration:usflag
Been through the government wringer, Pichu?...:damnit
A little outfit near me(3-4 trucks) had an audit done recently. The "officials" camped at a local motel and spent two days going through everything at company.

·
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats Bs to do that to anyone, but especially the little guy. I am just trying to get my truck as ready as I can so when I take it down to get inspected it will pass I can get my sticker and be on my way to putting it to work.

·
990 Posts
I worry about the absence of ANY front axle brakes whatsoever. They weren't fitted at the factory. Anyone have any experience in getting a DOT sticker lacking front brakes in a vehicle from an era when they weren't required equipment?

Roger

·
1,811 Posts
I have been working on my old 76 peterbilt and really would like to find a webpage or something I can print, or someone that is very savvy about dot regulations. I need to know what needs to be repaired or the requirments I need to meet. Any help is apreciated.
If you are a new entity, their first visit will only be a warning. They will suggest things they WILL look for the next time they come in.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I worry about the absence of ANY front axle brakes whatsoever. They weren't fitted at the factory. Anyone have any experience in getting a DOT sticker lacking front brakes in a vehicle from an era when they weren't required equipment?

:wavei drove a international transtar II and it didnt have front breaks
and i had lots of problems in the scales finally i went to the dealer and they awared me a certificate that the truck was manufactured without front breaks (and make copy in always keep in the cab)but i see you have a problem with your truck im sure they built it in newwark CA, but the factory closed a long time ago,(send letter to pb maybe someone can help you) but here ill give you a tip if you know how to work your system wig wag and you tell the official how it work with detail ,you can pass an inspection :rock

·
248 Posts
Roger your old Pete was built when front brakes weren't required so it doesn't have to have them. Our old 67 kw is the same way. It has a current DOT sticker and worked everyday up till the first of this year when the ports in Seattle adopted much of California's BS emission crap. Now if someone has swapped in a axle that has them or is setup to have them then they have to be there and fully operational. Lot of guys would tear front brakes off the trucks when they first started putting them on years ago. A lot of trucks from that time had a valve in the cab you flipped when on slippery conditions and it either cut the front brakes completely off or just limited the the air supply to them, I'm not sure which that was before my time.

·
Registered
489 Posts
If you are a new entity, their first visit will only be a warning. They will suggest things they WILL look for the next time they come in.
hey its sledman in these days they dont give you warnings everything is $dinero they say a !!word!!! that your are !!!professional!!! is no matter if you are new or old, in my yard they came last year,(like black dog say) no one saved themselves all of us got tickets(even to go to disneyland) but something that goes on your record are, lights ,brakes an the crossmember that goes under the fiftywheel that cost 600+1 1/2 points in your record a fixed ticket in CA cost $25 dollars(no more courtesy) a CA #had not pay cost $600 +penalty, the new federal dot is more hard this start jun 2010:damnit

·
16 Posts

Roger
If the truck has three or more axles and was maufactured befor July 25 1980 you don't need front brakes, FMCSA code 393.42.

Wayne

·
Registered
489 Posts
K-D deserves the credit. All I did was copy/paste the actual code from his post.
:)hey!!chris i remember :damnitis required by law , for those trucks built before 1975 a couple shocks(8x8 piece wood) in the truck anytime(by the soft valve),:damnit i don't sure:damnit, but i drove a white road commander with had front brakes 1975 had yellow, red and blue buttons, when i adjust the brakes was with a screwdriver(up and down)similar to VW cars :bdh

1 - 20 of 36 Posts