The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why cant everything be uniform across the US as far as rules??? I know i have only been doing this a short while but having to do a log book is retarded since SOME DOT officers dont like loose leaf logs then why do they sell them and put there approval on them?? I like using them for the obvious reasons but i havent been doing this long enough to learn every trick in the book. Rant on Rant off! So my first run in was with an Iowa DOT officer i went across scale he red lights me so i reach across the seat grab my log and my binder with all paperwork and first question after viewing my log was Where did you sleep last night my response i pulled into the Walcott IA at the 80 truck stop and dozed off in the truckers lounge he said YOU CANT DO THAT! I said why not sir? The rule states i must be off duty for 10 consecutive hours nothing says i ahve to sleep. Needless to say i was very polite and he still deemed it worth his while to inspect me but i passed with flying colors. For the most they all have been really nice cause i treat them with respect and they do the same.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
The "rules" are primarily FEDERAL and there is a handbook available from the local ATA office to guide you thru compliance with most of them. HOS and OOS rules are, for the most part, Federal code, but especially with the OOS items, if they want to place you OOS, they can and will. As Wayne stated, it is a matter of effort on their part as they can place ANY truck/driver OOS IF the look hard enough.

The "game" is to MAKE THEM LOOK HARD and not to hand it to them on a silver platter, but do it with a smile :)

The really big problem comes when the "local-yolkal" decides (s)he IS going to keep looking until they find something or "creatively interpret" the law :(

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The "rules" are primarily FEDERAL and there is a handbook available from the local ATA office to guide you thru compliance with most of them. HOS and OOS rules are, for the most part, Federal code, but especially with the OOS items, if they want to place you OOS, they can and will. As Wayne stated, it is a matter of effort on their part as they can place ANY truck/driver OOS IF the look hard enough.

The "game" is to MAKE THEM LOOK HARD and not to hand it to them on a silver platter, but do it with a smile :)

The really big problem comes when the "local-yolkal" decides (s)he IS going to keep looking until they find something or "creatively interpret" the law :(

The really big problem comes when the "local-yolkal" decides (s)he IS going to keep looking until they find something or "creatively interpret" the law

I know i hate this. I think i had a Rookie cause i believe i saw a 3ft blue flame coming out his azz but i killed him with kindness

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
Next time just say you slept at a motel. That one bad thing about hotshotting you can sleep in your truck well you can just don't get caught.

·
Still Diggin
634 Posts
AH brings back memories I was stopped by my first IA dot officer when I was 18 years old. Seems like no two dot officer I ran into ever looked at the laws the same way.

·
1,567 Posts
Next time just say you slept at a motel. That one bad thing about hotshotting you can sleep in your truck well you can just don't get caught.
Is it illegal to sleep in your truck? I am not a professional driver so I don’t know
I remember my dad talking about sleeping in his truck all the time

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
Is it illegal to sleep in your truck? I am not a professional driver so I don’t know
I remember my dad talking about sleeping in his truck all the time
It is illegal to sleep in a pickup truck and claim it as sleeper berth time unless you have a DOT approved sleeper on the truck. I was looking into hotshottin a few years ago when I didn't know if I would be able to work again.

Reactions: RussK and DEERE3594

·
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher
1,065 Posts
It is illegal to sleep in a pickup truck and claim it as sleeper berth time unless you have a DOT approved sleeper on the truck. I was looking into hotshottin a few years ago when I didn't know if I would be able to work again.
That did bring up the memories what some hotshot pick up trucks to do that is a add a sleeper between the cab and frame that how some got away with that loophole.

And with standard pickup truck without sleeper berth it is not legal to sleep under the DOT laws. { I don't have the actual articale number due it been a long time and in Europe it is simauir to it as well }

Merci.
Marc

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts

·
1,445 Posts

·
15 Posts
To be DOT compliant the sleeper must be a prescribed number of square inches. The back seat of a 4-door pickup is a few inches short. If you claim sleeping in a motel you must produce a receipt as proof or you can be put out of service. The key is the number of square inches.

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
To be DOT compliant the sleeper must be a prescribed number of square inches. The back seat of a 4-door pickup is a few inches short. If you claim sleeping in a motel you must produce a receipt as proof or you can be put out of service. The key is the number of square inches.
Thats what I thought put the link I posted said its DOT compliant

·
15 Posts
Kip yes If you take the seat out and install that sleeper it would be compliant but just by a few inches. They measure from the ceiling to the floor and from back of front seat to front of back seat or back wall. The weight a person can haul on a tire is also based on square inches touching the pavement. A dumb country boy like me can't know all the formulas but I know DOT has them.

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was told DOT cannot legally ask you to provide a receipt as it is a right off anyway?? Now would that be opening yourself to another can of worms YES so i like to use the phrase well you see there was this nice truck driver at the truck stop that had double bunks LOL

·
Wanna be door swinger
422 Posts
My best advice is to never volunteer anymore info then what is required by the question that was asked. He asked where you slept...just say "Walcott, IA". If he then asks if you slept in the truck or somewhere else just say "a friends had me stay over".

To many guys get tickets cause they volunteer way to much info. Its a cat and mouse game that can be pretty entertaining to play at times.

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
IMO for 2 grand it would be worth getting to be able to sleep in some comfort where ever you like and not have to worry about the getting a ticket.

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IMO for 2 grand it would be worth getting to be able to sleep in some comfort where ever you like and not have to worry about the getting a ticket.
They have a kit that retains the cab in tact and gives you the measurements but DOT will not put there stamp on it and for $2500 ill sleep on my twin matress i shoverd in there and sleeping bags lol im comfy and warm

1 - 18 of 18 Posts