The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i installed a 3" DP and 4" custom exhaust tonight. Few problems....

where the DP clamps to the turbo it didn't really seem to seal the best so i tightened it and there is a small leak. can't hear it just feel it with your fingers.

And also is sounds like a grinding noise from the cab when you step on the gas. any suggestions

·
812 Posts
we put in the down pipe on a friend obs, and it sounded bad from the inside but, we could not find anything wrong with it. and nothing has gone wrong with it yet

·
1,921 Posts
Loosen the lower clamps and the clamp on the turbo. Wiggle the down pipe as you tighten the upper clamp on the turbo so that it settles in and seals properly. Make sure you have enough clearance between the down pipe and firewall. That grinding noise you are hearing is most likely the pipe hitting the firewall. You may need to bend the fire wall back a little more to get some more clearance.

·
6,337 Posts
Yup, the down pipe is hitting somewhere...

·
1,386 Posts
Had the same problem. It took me 3 tries to get it right. Just take your time and adjust it.

·
Resident GINGER
775 Posts
I just got done installing one. It rubbed really bad, and I was a little angry so I took it to an exhaust shop. Aparrently with manual tranys you have to remove a small brace on the passanger side on the trany brace.... if that makes any sense. Before the whole cab shook unless you were on the skinny pedal hard, now it is fine.

·
1,386 Posts
94.5stroker said:
I just got done installing one. It rubbed really bad, and I was a little angry so I took it to an exhaust shop. Aparrently with manual tranys you have to remove a small brace on the passanger side on the trany brace.... if that makes any sense. Before the whole cab shook unless you were on the skinny pedal hard, now it is fine.

My truck is a 5 speed also. I didn't have to remove anything. I didn't have to modify the firewall either. It's time consuming but it can be adjusted to not hit anything.

·
1,921 Posts
I've done a couple manual tranny dp installs and there is a little bracket that sticks out off the tranny that makes less room on them than on the autos and you usually have to push the firewall in a little more than on the autos but I've never had to cut anything off. I guess it would be a lot easier if you trimmed that little pracket that sticks out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts