The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a 3 inch downpipe to replace that squished thing Ford put in my truck. Any tips/hints/suggestions to make the install easy?
Thanks
 

·
Resident GINGER
Joined
·
775 Posts
Get some good sawzall blades, I killed a few cutting my exhaust. I have heard some say that they used a 2x4 on a jack to push the firewall back out of the was as opposed to beating on it for a few hours with a hammer and a steel bar.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
yep I had to cut my old down pipe in 3 pieces to get it out. although I got impatient with the sawzall and got out the ol torch:weld:
I ended up taking the rear cross member off the transmission and moved it around to get some extra room.
 

·
Ford Man
Joined
·
27 Posts
pontiacross said:
yep I had to cut my old down pipe in 3 pieces to get it out. although I got impatient with the sawzall and got out the ol torch:weld:
I ended up taking the rear cross member off the transmission and moved it around to get some extra room.
I had to cut mine in three pieces also. I used the "2x4 and jack method' to move the firewall out of the way. Then the two piece downpipe went right in.
 

·
Dually Club #3
Joined
·
2,674 Posts
Get the long sawzall blades and cut as high as you can and it will come out in two pieces. Then cut the pinch weld about every inch where the new pipe goes through and the bend the flap out of the way. It wasn't two bad on my dads truck.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did ya'll have any trouble getting the pipe off the turbo? Should I spray with oil and let it sit for a few days?
 

·
Dually Club #3
Joined
·
2,674 Posts
Yes you can if you want. It will just smoke when you start it up until the oil burns off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
Burner718 said:
I just ordered a 3 inch downpipe to replace that squished thing Ford put in my truck. Any tips/hints/suggestions to make the install easy?
Thanks
Yea send it back an be content with your factory 3.5" straight piped exhaust!
 

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
Joined
·
2,262 Posts
soak er down in pb blaster also see if you can borrow a porta power ir an air hammer some big bars u need at least a 12 pac possibly more depinding on the truck it would be easy but like any thing else if its easy in probably woulnt work well
steve
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,921 Posts
Unbolt the pipe from the turbo and the cat. Use a strap on the bottom to push the pipe up as high as you can. Then cut it as low as you can from the top. The pipe should drop right out the bottom. I've had one or two that I had to cut the bottom to get it out. IIRC those were mainly on manual trucks.

A port-a-power works best with a duck bill attachment and a small chunch of 2X4. If you don't have one just get about a 4" 2X4 and pry against the head and the firewall. You might have to go undernieth and pry agaist the up pipe and firewall as well until you have enough clearnace. DO NOT CUT THE PINCH WELD! There is no need and you will only expose the fresh metal and it can rust and cause other problems. Not to mention it will break the seal in the pinch weld.

Once you can get the upper portion in you are set. Loosely put the v-band clamp on to hold it in place and put the lower half on. Get everything positioned and make sure the down pipe isn't hitting the firewall and tighten the v-band clamp first then the middle clamp and then the lower clamp.

Then take it for a test drive and make sure it doesn't come into contact with the firewall as the engine torques in the mounts. You can put it in D and R and powerbrake it a little to flex it both ways to see if it will hit.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK Thanks everybody for the great info......I've got my C4 ready to clear the way!!!!!!!
 

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
Joined
·
2,262 Posts
Burner718 said:
I just ordered a 3 inch downpipe to replace that squished thing Ford put in my truck. Any tips/hints/suggestions to make the install easy?
Thanks
so your a paramedic right? just get some of your fireman buddys over and tell em to bring the hurst tool it will make the nessasary room i have seen it make room before:sofa
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, a Hurst would work great...although the Chiefs frown on personal use:watchout !! I was looking at my current downpipe. Doesn't look like much room for a 3 incher. Does most of the firewall "rearrangin" take place at the top or the bottom? And if it has to be done in between, I'm not sure I'm up for that. Also, my current factory downpipe has some kind of crimped on aluminum? heat shield.....the new pipe won't need that?:shrug:
 

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
Joined
·
2,262 Posts
Burner718 said:
Yeah, a Hurst would work great...although the Chiefs frown on personal use:watchout !! I was looking at my current downpipe. Doesn't look like much room for a 3 incher. Does most of the firewall "rearrangin" take place at the top or the bottom? And if it has to be done in between, I'm not sure I'm up for that. Also, my current factory downpipe has some kind of crimped on aluminum? heat shield.....the new pipe won't need that?:shrug:
nah because it will run cooler your just gonna have to bang it out its not to bad get a big pry bar an air impact hammer if the chief wont let ya use the jaws of life it will be fine
steve
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top