The Diesel Garage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that there have been problems the the econ tunes with DP-Tuners. Is this true? I know someone with an 01 who's been running the 80HP econ tune and hasn't had any problems.

·
8,265 Posts
This could be a touchy subject.

I personally have an 80E tune...and have no issues whatsoever.

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
This could be a touchy subject.

I personally have an 80E tune...and have no issues whatsoever.
But aren't you having issues with a 40 tow program?? Just wondering, not trying to start an argument.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I've heard that there have been problems the the econ tunes with DP-Tuners. Is this true? I know someone with an 01 who's been running the 80HP econ tune and hasn't had any problems.
If I may say starting a thread with "I've heard " will lead to many other opinions be voiced. I will voice mine first.

There was a survey that was on a Dealer of ours site that ened up on other forum that was done with our insight as well as others to put together a survey of what people had done to their trucks before their trucks ended up in the trash. The intention of this thread was to find a common denominator to a very strange outbreak of demised eninges. Now remember we are dealing with aftermarket highly modified trucks of the people who posted in this survey. The survey ended up being a pointing fingers thread more so then finding out what the common denominators were. I'll ad, that many other guys windowed their blocks using other tuners programming. When asked if they would fill out the survey they declined to.

I will touch breifly on our company. Our company has been at the forefront of diesel performance for over 5 years now. Jody's desire when he started tuning was to make sure his tunes were safe. We did that by purchasing equipment in 2005 to monitor many different aspects of the engine and one was when different tunes were being used.

Now to understand modifying your truck. Alot of people don't stop at gauges intakes and exhaust systems. A lot of people do injectors, turbos, fuel sytems and many other things to get more horsepower out of their trucks. Some use alternative fuels like nitrous for extra power gains and water/methynol injection, and propane for cleaning up the extra smoke better. All these alternative fuels advance the injection timing further. It is essential to run proper tunes set up for the hp shots you are planning to use them. If not you can hurt the motor.

Many of the people who posted in that suvery posted they were in the 80 econo. Most people run in the 80 econo for their daily driver tune. The damage that occurd to their eninges happend long before that moment. Most of those guys either raced, sled pulled or played heavily with their trucks on a daily or weekend basis.

All in all this is aftermarket, if you plan to modify your truck know what your getting into.

We have seen completely stock trucks melt pistons down to nothing with nothing done to them, not even a tuner and we a have seen dedicated race and pulling trucks never window a block.

If you have any questions about Jody's tuning don't hesitate to give us a call.

Diane Tipton

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Anyone who clicks on that link will be subjected to spam on their computers.imho anyone who posts links like that needs to be slapped. It's things like that is why this site crashed last time.

·
6,337 Posts
Anyone who clicks on that link will be subjected to spam on their computers.imho anyone who posts links like that needs to be slapped. It's things like that is why this site crashed last time.

Ya got me Diane, I am a spamer...:salute

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
Absolutely, i just about pulled the infraction card on that. Please do not ever post another link on this site that alters ones computer in anyway please.. Thank you.

·
257 Posts
I have a DP and wouldn't trade it for anything. I also drive and tow by my gauges, not my right foot. You have to know when to say enough is enough and back out of it.
You have to be smart about things, if not then you need to have a fat wallet.

·
6,337 Posts
I have a DP and wouldn't trade it for anything. I also drive and tow by my gauges, not my right foot. You have to know when to say enough is enough and back out of it.

I tow and drive by my gauges as well... Thats all I will say otherwise I will be hearing an ear full...:thumbsup

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
I've got 80K+ miles predominantly in my DP-tuner 80E program with no problems whatsoever.

I've seen all sort of mechanical things have come-aparts for seemingly no reason whatsoever and it takes a trained investigator to identify the exact cause(s) of the failure. I know of no one claiming to have blown their engines using Jody's tuning to have ever submitted their engine for a complete failure analysis.

Until such time as that occurs, all else is pure speculation.

prt

·
8,265 Posts
But aren't you having issues with a 40 tow program?? Just wondering, not trying to start an argument.
Yeah...you are. But...we can deal with that.

I have run in the 40 tow program for many years without issue. I have also run in the 80E program without issue. Jody gave me an 80tow program on my reburn...but I feel like I am towing too heavy to run that.

I think my problem is with the injectors. I think my little AB's are due to be replaced.

·
128 Posts
Yeah...you are. But...we can deal with that.

I have run in the 40 tow program for many years without issue. I have also run in the 80E program without issue. Jody gave me an 80tow program on my reburn...but I feel like I am towing too heavy to run that.

I think my problem is with the injectors. I think my little AB's are due to be replaced.
I tow with the 80T Dave and it does very well. Jody gave me the 40T/60T and 80T to try out. I like the 80 by far the best. Oh and I tow a 38' toyhauler usually around 15,000 lbs over many mountain passes in Montana/Idaho.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i tow a 8K trailer in the mountians all the time.. for the most part I stay in my 80E setting and only drop to my 60T on grades over 6%. never had a problems at all.

Steve

·
459 Posts
Members who post links like that need to be more than slapped. That is just uncalled for.

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry guys but im lost. what link are we talking about?

·
6,337 Posts

Ya know how you get economy out of these trucks... with timing...

Here is what timing does...

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
Still conjecture.

I'm certain David is taking great care of you and I'm very certain that you can't have deduced all by yourself that "timing" (read as tuning to all those who have followed your finger-pointing) that the responsible party is anyone else but who you want it to be.

Namely, not you, and not the person who's covering the engine loss as a result of your desire to play hard without covering all your bases.

Now, until TDG sees the results of an independent 3rd party testing lab confirm that your engine loss was the result of ANYTHING, this thread (and all others like it) is done.

prt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.