The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am lookin at the DP "f5" 16 pos chip on ITP diesels website

I would just get the 40 and 60 setting because i don't believe i would use the 80 very often

I was just wondering how much tq each increase???

on super chips its 40 hp - 70 tq
50 hp - 85 tq

·
1,291 Posts
Most of the time we sell the 40 or 60 the economy and 120. you can about duoble the hp for a good guess on TQ

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but i'm not required to buy more than i want. right?

I would never use the 80 for the simple fact that i am always hooked to a trailer and i definatly use the 120 because the rest of my truck is stock and i've been told i can only get 75 to 80 out of a stock truck

·
1,726 Posts
I just got finished putting a chip and stage 1 injectors in my OBS. I had the Superchips Microtuner on it before. After the change to a chip and stage 1's I would ESTIMATE my power gain (compared to my Superchips) at around 50 hp on the lowest setting which is supposedly "stock." On the extreme setting I am guessing 160+ I am really guessing on the extreme as I have been limiting myself on that setting due to a stock tranny :damnit

After stating that I hooked on to my trailer to see what the temps would do and with a 7500 lb CC Dually truck and a 9000 lb trailer I could pull any hill I wanted in ANY setting on the chip. Both of my tow positions make lower egt, while crusing or pulling a hill, than the stock setting although the egt does start to get hot if you are really hammering on it. The extreme would probably not be too good for towing due to the quick pedal and possible fuel consumption, but my Perf. Tow setting isn't down on power much at all from it.

I could get the egt's into dangerous levels if I put my foot to the floor for an extended period of time but I can pull a hill with the trailer starting at 65 at the bottom and be going 75+ at the top with egt no higher than 1350* on a monster hill.
And also towing with the cruise on is no problem. Not that I am a big fan of that, I just wanted to try it.

You would probably run out of fuel with stock injectors at some point so you may not have as much of an egt problem at full throttle. But believe my if you have your right foot on the floor that means you are pretty much screwin around, definitly not going to be typical for me to get over 1/2 throttle.

After reading this long drawn-out post you can see who I went with but I am not saying that DP is bad. There are countless members on here that are extremely happy with their product. What ever you end up with I am sure you will be happy with :woot:

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but on my truck being's its stock won't gain more than 80hp anyways. if i do go with a chip what would be a good code reader? just to read codes with not gain power.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If your just wanting a code reader, watch ebay and get you a vin locked superchips 1700 or 1705, it will do that with no problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey circle5... Do you know if you have single or split shot injectors? If you have splits, then you can get over 100HP out of a properly tuned chip. Stock single shots flow almost 30cc less than splits.

·
6,337 Posts
You will have singles, unless your truck is a cali model. Hard to imagine due to your location...

·
1,726 Posts
circle5 said:
haven't the slightest clue!! how do i find out?
The late 96 and 97 California Emissions trucks have them. I think there is a sticker on the radiator support or the engine stating that it is California emissions compliant but I'm not for sure. If you know that the truck was or was not purchased in california that would tell you.
Also the injectors are AB code instead of AA code.
You can pull a valvecover off and get the # off the injector. I cant remember if it ends or begins with AA or AB.

EDIT
Dang, Joe beat me to it. LOL

Eric

1 - 13 of 13 Posts