The Diesel Garage banner

DPF/Cat delete and tuned in Mexico...

8K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  slowmans 
#1 ·
So, If I were to do the Spartan with all delete, will my 6.4 be able to ingest diesel (possibly the "red" higher sulfer diesel) in Mexico without problems??

Since there is no DPF to plug up, you would think it would be ok?

Anybody??

#3 ·
Not sure about Mexico...I ran a few tanks of the Low-Sulfer fuel as I drove from Alaska to Maryland without issues. They don't offer the ULSD in Canada so I had to run a couple of tanks of it. I read a few articles about it before I did it...and I believe prolonged use will cause injector/fuel system problems.

My $.02

#5 ·
Im in canada and its all ULSD now, you cant find anything but. Just very slow on changing lables. In alberta there is i think only 3 refineres and there all ULSD

#4 ·
Oh, I just did a quick search and "red diesel" is very similar to automotive diesel except they add red dye to distinguish between the two. Apparently, the diesel that is red is for home heating only and is not taxed as heavily as the auto diesel. It's considered a criminal act to use red diesel on your truck because its cheaper...... Imagine that! So, its like being forced to purchase a higher cost, rebadged product even though they are the same....

So, back to Mexico..... I think the Mexican diesel may have more Sulfur. Would the extra sulfur be no problem? I would think the fuel injection system wouldn't care. I think the big issue is ability to burn off at the DPF. But, if we remove it anyway I would think its ok??

#6 · (Edited)
The Red Diesel is Illegal as there has not been any Road tax levied upon it. It is not Illegal because it's cheaper but it's cheaper as it is designed for Home use and for Farmer or Road Construction Vehicle use. Fines in Canada are significant and the Ministry MTO can stop you and "dip" your tank looking for it at their will.

#7 ·
Mexico doesn't dye their diesel. They use green for everything. Coming from someone who drove from texas to cancun there is no road tax in mexico judging from the roads. It also doesn't matter where you stop for fuel in mexico because its all the same price.

#9 ·
Mexico doesn't dye their diesel. They use green for everything. Coming from someone who drove from texas to cancun there is no road tax in mexico judging from the roads. It also doesn't matter where you stop for fuel in mexico because its all the same price.

haha so true.

#8 ·
ya you would be fine my dad did it back when he still had hid DPF on and no troubles

#11 ·
spammmer!!!!

#18 ·
I'd be careful running offroad diesel in your truck unless it doesn't leave the farm, if you have one. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe if you get your tank dipped the fine is around $1,000 per gallon. Just something to keep in mind. I'd rather pay the extra .30 cents on the gallon in taxes then get caught with 38 gallons of the red stuff.

#17 ·
From the border its 1700 miles to cancun. Drove my 97 f350 crew cab long bed with a trailer. 200 miles in i blow a power steering hose, and for those that have never been in mexico there's no spare parts. So the trip wasn't that fun but cool. Took me a total of 3 days because most of the journey is through small towns that have speed bumps.

#19 ·
It's a $1000-$10,000 per tank or container. Say you have a 97 f350 with a drag up tank, and a 5 gallon gas can with gas. Thats 4 fines even though the gas can has gas in it.

#20 ·
i would think they most go after the guy that has the tank and pump in the bed of the truck because most likely that's the guy running the red dyed fuel.

I have ran two tanks of red fuel in my truck the only difference is that the exhaust smells weird.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.