The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need to drain some coolant from each system so I can do the testing. The petcocks are very difficult to turn and I'm afraid I will break them. I turned the one on the drivers side about one turn and got about a tablespoon full of coolant out of it. How do y'all do it. Is there a special tool? Does it turn more than one turn to drain? Why did the flow stop for me? Should I have turned it more?
Thanks!

·
274 Posts
possibly vacuum in the system, but not likely. bit of debris blocking flow? don't know if they changed it, but my 05 the plug will come right out if you keep on turning, fairly tight, used a wrench the first turn or two

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
Work the petcock back and forth several times. It will eventually break free of the corrosion and sludge restraining it's turning easily. If it doesn't free flow after a while but remains a trickle, take an air hose with a rubber tipped blow gun and a quick squirt of air, (have radiator cap off) will blow the debris away. If that engine has the Motorcraft gold coolant installed, you cannot get that garbage out fast enough.

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, y'all. I wondered about a vacuum, but since the other petcock was so hard to get to, I've decided to build a tool and stopped messing with it. I just cut a piece of 3/8" wood with a 3 inch hole saw. Then I drilled the pilot hole out to 3/8" and glued a piece of 3/8" dowel rod into it. When that dries, I'll cut a slot in the wood from the edge to the center so the petcock tab will be in the center of the piece of wood. That will give me the mechanical advantage I need without tearing up the tab with pliers or a wrench. I wouldn't expect the petcock to be plugged up, since I only have 13,000 miles on it and I sure as heck hope there is no corrosion in the system. My engine uses the orange antifreeze. I'm going to test my antifreeze one way or the other this weekend, so I'll let y'all know how that goes.

·
9 Posts
I have yet to do mine but I will also be doing it myself. Which Test kits did you go with?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts