The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the fluid in my 16718B. Switching to full synthetic, so I want to get all the petroleum fluid out. Whats the best way to drain the cooler. I disconnected the 2 lines at the trans. and left them hanging for the night. They don't seem to be draining very much though, so how do you push the remaining fluid out?

Will a small amt. of conventional oil left in there be an issue with the 50wt. synthetic Roadranger lube?

·
3,533 Posts
You can just blow it out,remove both hoses, I use a #8 or #10 fitting with an air chuck and a regulator and hooked to shop air just let it blow for a while, Then swap the fitting to the other hose and do it again, You will not get it all out most coolers are set up that the fluid goes in the top of the cooler and out the top, on the other end. That keeps the cooler full of fluid.
You could remove the core, and then just stand it up and let it drain.

Reactions: oldnotslow

·
2,555 Posts
Any that I have flushed , I just drain the trans , let it drip , put in a quart of syn , remove the cooler return from the 6 bolt plate. jack and block one of the rear wheels , idle the truck in gear till clear oil comes out the return, hook the line back up fill it and run. I usually ad a filter to the system if not equiped.

·
4,827 Posts
I am curious why it doesn't have the syn50 in it already?

The cooler that was on my W9, had welded caps on it. The new one I installed when the old one puked has a plate with 4 bolts on it.

·
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason it didn't have Syn50 in it before is $50.00 a gal. A friend of mine retired and gave me 3 gals. of Roadranger 50w full syn. I bought two more gals. and almost fell over when the receipt said $100.01! Did the Arabs buy roadranger too?

·
3,533 Posts
Personally I buy type 3 synthetics and change it more often. running oil to 750.000 miles never seemed like a good idea to me I would much rather buy it from Walmart and change it at 250,000. It all has the same GL5 spec. I do plug swaps to check the condition and clean off the magnets. But that is just me!

·
2,555 Posts
Personally I buy type 3 synthetics and change it more often. running oil to 750.000 miles never seemed like a good idea to me I would much rather buy it from Walmart and change it at 250,000. It all has the same GL5 spec. I do plug swaps to check the condition and clean off the magnets. But that is just me!
Trans oil John SAE50 :happymugs

·
3,533 Posts
I use to get given to me, the bottles and pails of Eaton gear oil, that were partially used, and I put them in a pail, for my use I always thought it was GL5, I read up on it and it may be only a GL 4. My pint is I would rather use a cheap synthetic and change it more often, than buy an expensive one and leave it in for a long time.
I will be going to town on Monday and I will look at a pail of 50W gear oil synthetic to see what the spec is.

·
4,827 Posts
We run the Valvaline syn 50 we get from Carquest. IIRC, it is $150 for a 5gal pail. )Been a while, so might not be quite right on that.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts