The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Powerhouse Gypsies
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my truck for 3 years now and always had a little bit of shuddering from take-off once the rear-end is warmed up on the highway and the truck comes to a complete stop then takes-off again. I've had other bearing issues and ended up having the rear end rebuilt w/ all new bearings, ring and pinion @ the dealer.

Within the past 2 years I've had the driveshaft balanced and u-joints/carrier bearing replaced. At one point I thought maybe it was a brake issue and replaced the rear calipers and inboard rubber brake line(not the one @ each wheel).I've changed the gear lube twice and added double the amount of friction modifier this last time. I've replaced both front wheel bearings. I also changed the tires out of desperation 3 mos. ago.

The vibration stopped occuring from dead stops and now only happens once the truck is warmed up and is accelerating from a dead stop. It only happens under a load @ 35mph. If I slow down to 30 and push on the pedal it won't do it. Its just a loud and momentary shudder at 35 while accelerating from a dead stop. It will do it almost everytime I take off from a stop while getting up to speed, the rest of the time the truck runs great.

Surely someone else has been through something similar before. All I have left to do is replace/ rebuild the limited slip or replace the two rubber brake hoses at each rear caliper. Other than that I give up.

·
211 Posts
Is your truck an automatic trans or manual trans? If it is an automatic, the problem could be the torque converter lock up.

If it's a manual, the problem could be the pilot bearing or throw out bearing.

I would suggest taking it to Fleetpride or someplace similar. They know more about the driveline than the dealership.

Hope this helps,

Woody

Reactions: spgtti72

·
Powerhouse Gypsies
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Auto. Would trans/torque converter issues be that intermittant?

·
1,052 Posts
Have you thought of flushing the ATF fluid?
Bill

·
1,052 Posts
The problem if the trany is still working, After a while the ATF over heats each time when that happens the fluid some properties and looses it ability to function as a lubricant. Worn out ATF is a leading cause for tranys to go south.
Bill

·
211 Posts
Anything is possible.

You might want to check your motor mounts and/or trans mounts too. One or more could be broken.

Take the truck to a reputable trans shop. Don't take it to Aamco or the like. If you are planning on adding a chip/exhaust/intake then you might want to consider a valve body and upgraded torque converter.

Woody

·
Powerhouse Gypsies
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anything is possible.

You might want to check your motor mounts and/or trans mounts too. One or more could be broken.

Take the truck to a reputable trans shop. Don't take it to Aamco or the like. If you are planning on adding a chip/exhaust/intake then you might want to consider a valve body and upgraded torque converter.

Woody
I didn't think about mounts but now that you said it the truck does shake when it's shut-off. I'll crawl back under there tommorow.

·
Powerhouse Gypsies
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally found the cause of the shudder yesterday. After a trip into the city the shudder was still there (only after coming to a complete stop and accelerating past 35mph) and driveline started to make a grinding noise @ different throttle positions.

I got home and crawled under the truck and this time saw that the center support bearing rubber had pushed out of the housing and moved back until the driveshaft started intermittantly rubbing in the bearings mounting housing. Kinda weird as this was replaced along with all the u-joints and shaft balanced 30k ago.

Thanks for everyones help, should be back on the road tonight (with a Ford bearing this time).

·
1,052 Posts
I finally found the cause of the shudder yesterday. After a trip into the city the shudder was still there (only after coming to a complete stop and accelerating past 35mph) and driveline started to make a grinding noise @ different throttle positions.

I got home and crawled under the truck and this time saw that the center support bearing rubber had pushed out of the housing and moved back until the driveshaft started intermittantly rubbing in the bearings mounting housing. Kinda weird as this was replaced along with all the u-joints and shaft balanced 30k ago.

Thanks for everyones help, should be back on the road tonight (with a Ford bearing this time).
Thanks for the update glad you will be back on the road.
Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts