The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend I made a 644 mile "off road" :) trip between Columbus, OH and Atlanta, GA. This was an unloaded run with the truck listed in my signature.

I was running pretty hard and I stayed above 80 mph 85% of the trip and for the first hour or so I was running 90 or so (I was in hurry to get home). Here’s how the numbers looked,

• EOT - 208-210
  • ECT - 198-201
  • TFT - 169-173
  • EGT - 650-900 but for the most part stayed in the 750 range
  • Boost - I could hit 47 lbs in a heartbeat when I first got on it but would quickly settle down to 35. Running along at 85mph boost would stay around 20-22 psi.
Now for the mileage.... The LOM said I was getting 18.6 but when hand calculated it came up to 12.4. Now before anyone goes nuts and says that's crappy mileage you need to consider I'm moving an 8400 lb dually with 4.10 gears through the mountains of KY and TN while maintaining 80 mph. The same trip stock going 70-72 mph last year got me a whooping 9.2 mpg.

I'm happy with the results considering how fast I was moving and what I'm moving it with and I know if I slow down I can easily pickup another 1-2 mpg. I can test this in two weeks when I make the same trip back north and this time I'll keep it at 72-75 mph and see how it likes it.

The truck ran like a rapped ape and was a blast to drive. My only complaint would be that on really rough roads it's hard to keep a steady speed because the pedal is so darn touchy. The guys in the north will have fun trying to keep this under control because it was a PITA while driving back roads west of Detroit, MI.

FWIW.... On the way north to MI and going through the same mountains towing 12,500 lbs at 75 mph with the 210 tune I got 10.6 mph. Last spring when the truck was completely stock I did a run at the same speed between Atlanta and Orlando which is pretty flat land I got me 8.1 mpg.

If anyone has any questions ask away.

Gerry

·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I meant to add the difference for my in city "off road" mileage for my truck stock, with the 210 tuned and with the 310 beta tuned.

When the truck was completely stock I was seeing approx. 11.2. Once I added the 210 tune the mileage increased to approx 12.6. So far with one full tank of in city driving the 310 beta tune it's put me at 14.1 but I haven't been kind to the go fast pedal. It's just too much fun so I can't help myself :D..

·
cool as december
1,032 Posts
ITs really, really hard not too, but johny law has been crackin down on the smoke law so gotta be carefull :D

·
773 Posts
with the 275 I've gotten 22mpg hand calculated

·
116 Posts
Thats awesome! What do you got to do to get this tune! How are you guys doing it? I gonna race again on Friday, and would love to run this tune!!!

·
2,183 Posts
can we just stop talking about the 310 till its released??

just kidding. kind of

·
TDG #97
1,234 Posts
can we just stop talking about the 310 till its released??

just kidding. kind of
Im not... stop talking about it... I want this damn tune already :gaah:roflol:

I run my truck like a raped ape most of the time, and feel I would be a great canidate to be a beta tester... hell ill pay regular price to be a Beta tester! :haha

·
Registered
639 Posts
Thats very good....my truck will see about the same maybe a little better if I run 80-90 for, but it I drop it to 70-75 the boost drops to 10psi and I get 18 or so.

·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just from experience i bet if you slowed down..... yes to a mear 65mph you could be well over 20mpg. Just a thought :poke

Awesome results

What are you turning for RPM's? 2300?
You are 100% correct and I've tested running higher and lower speeds a couple times with the 210 tune and it makes a pretty big difference. This spring I made a 920 mile trip between Atlanta and New Orleans and on the way to New Orleans I was running 73-75 and got 12.6 mpg. On the way home I slowed down to 65 mph and got 16.3 mpg. Now this is great news but I can not driver that slow all the time because A. I think I was getting passed by people on mopeds and B. It just takes to long.

As for my rpm’s….. at those speeds I'm turning a little more then 2500. At 75 mph I’m turn 2350’ish and at 65 mph I’m turning a little over 2000. With the 4.10 rear end if I want to keep it slightly under 2000 I need to keep the truck at 62 mph which isn’t going to happen as long as I’m behind the wheel. Most of my trips are 1600 miles plus and I want to get to my destination this week not next month :).

·
190 Posts
Thats very good....my truck will see about the same maybe a little better if I run 80-90 for, but it I drop it to 70-75 the boost drops to 10psi and I get 18 or so.
And as your sig states you are running strictly stock ROTFLMAO!!
I will continue to run a stock setup when the 310 is released as well.

·
138 Posts
Im stock still at this point, but I agree that the magic number is to stay at or under 10psi of boost... for mileage. It makes a huge difference and it also makes perfect sense, because any time your under boost the mixture will be and should be very rich...

Its just too bad that these trucks have to boost so much just to get out of their own way... I cant wait to get tuned.

·
40 Posts
Guys relax the 310 will be out in due time. Let them put out a GOOD tune that wont kill your truck. I am sure they dont want to be flamed in forums for something released too soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts