The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my tranny went out at 182,000. Looking for information on upgrading and beefing it up. Thanks in advance !!

·
211 Posts
SunCoast Heavy Duty Rebuild

Reactions: groceryman

·
3,306 Posts
suncoast has two kits...extreme duty and superduty. Superduty kit has everything and the most expensive.

·
227 Posts
So, you guys think Sun coast is better then ATS Trannys? I could never make my mind up between the two. Make sure you replace the Torque converter too.

·
3,306 Posts
So, you guys think Sun coast is better then ATS Trannys? I could never make my mind up between the two. Make sure you replace the Torque converter too.
Suncoast is waaaaay better. So many problems with ATS it aint even funny. You don't neccessarily need to replace the converter. My stock trans went at 25K with two sets of clutch packs being toasted and the dealer never replaced the converter. I then put the suncoast superduty rebuild in it this past spring at 58K and it still has the stock converter with no issues. But i do plan on upgrading the converter in a few months.

·
MAFIA #8
5,567 Posts
what are you planning on doing w/ the truck??? there is a low mileage one in the for sale section for $1250... If you are looking for performance then I would go w/ BTS... They are a little more expensive BUT he has a lifetime warranty on it...

·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your input guys!!

what are you planning on doing w/ the truck??? there is a low mileage one in the for sale section for $1250... If you are looking for performance then I would go w/ BTS... They are a little more expensive BUT he has a lifetime warranty on it...
Just want a solid work truck, tow a lot with it and occasionally fairly heavy.

·
864 Posts
Where is it that you can order the NADP trans kit or rebuild kit? How bout the Suncoast? Thanks

·
3,306 Posts
Where is it that you can order the NADP trans kit or rebuild kit? How bout the Suncoast? Thanks
you can't order a NADP rebuild kit...they only sell fully built tranny's. But maybe they will sell you one. You can buy the suncoast rebuild kits directly from suncoast. Last i knew, you could get a suncoast rebuild from RCD but i dont see anything on their site, but i suppose you could still call.

http://www.suncoastconverters.com/ford/ford_product.html

http://www.rivercitydiesel.com/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contact&id=2&Itemid=30

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
I spoke with suncoast the other day. Their kits do NOT come with a gasket set!!!!(VERY IMPORTANT!!!)

Sun Coasts kits come with what in the pictures and thats it.

Xtreme Duty Rebuild Kit
2003-08
Part No. 5R110-ERBK
Price: $878.00 Clutch Pack upgrades:
Over Drive Upgrade
• 5 Alto Red Eagle Frictions
• Kolene Steels
• SCD Pressure Plate
• SCD O/D Piston
Intermediate Upgrade
• 5 Frictions
• Kolene Steels
• SCD Pressure Plate
Forward Clutch Upgrade
• Steels
Direct Clutch Upgrade
• 6 Frictions
• Steels
• SCD Pressure Plate
• SCD Apply Plate
• SCD Apply Piston
Low and Reverse Clutch Pack
• 6 Alto Red Eagle Frictions
• Kolene Steels
Shift Kit
Custom SCD Upgraded Direct Solenoid

Super Duty Rebuild Kit
2003-08
Part No. 5R110-ERBK-DX
Price: $1218.00
Clutch Pack upgrades:
Over Drive Upgrade
• Kolene Steels
• SCD Pressure Plate
• SCD O/D Piston
Intermediate Upgrade
• 5 Frictions
• Kolene Steels
• SCD Pressure Plate
Forward Clutch Upgrade
• Steels
Direct Clutch Upgrade
• 6 Frictions
• Steels
• SCD Pressure Plate
• SCD Apply Plate
• SCD Apply Piston
Low and Reverse Clutch Pack
• 6 Alto Red Eagle Frictions
• Kolene Steels

Also Included:
• TransGo® 5R110 Shift Kit®
• Pump O-ring
• Pump gasket
• Sump Filter
• By-pass filter element
• Custom SCD Direct solenoid
• New EPC solenoid
• SCD billet in line filter assures
solenoid protection from foreign material. Includes spin on filter and all parts needed for a easy install.

THIS IS WHATS ALL MISSING

Reactions: strokin6L

·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How did if fail? how did you drive it? take care of it?
I was very anal about servicing it every 50k, fluid and both filters.

It failed after 6 hrs of plowing snow. Supposedly a snap ring broke in the tranny. I'm sorry if thats sounds lame, I don't know that much about em.
No I don't have gauges, I know chew my ***. I have been wanting to get an edge insight to monitor everything.

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
And a Bushing kit is needed LOL

·
422 Posts
Are you a transmission re-builder....how did you find out what needs to be done to rebuild it. Is their some shop manual available?

·
864 Posts
Will a rebuild kit help a with my tow/haul mode not working? If I have it in tow/haul, my truck will shift properly a few times then it gets stuck in second gear until I pull over and take it out of tow haul. Any ideas?

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
Will a rebuild kit help a with my tow/haul mode not working? If I have it in tow/haul, my truck will shift properly a few times then it gets stuck in second gear until I pull over and take it out of tow haul. Any ideas?

sounds like possible a bad solenoid.. if you revert your truck back to stock settings from the sct does this still happen? When you downloaded your sct did you follow the necessary steps to figure out your revs/mile?

bustedknuckles _ Are you a transmission re-builder....how did you find out what needs to be done to rebuild it. Is their some shop manual available?
No im not. Its a transmission not a rocket ship LOL... They are all about the same minus the 5r110 only have one Valve in the vlave body making it not much of a "valve"body at all LOL.. As for whats in the kits, iv made phone calls and exchanged emails from the company's selling producing the stuff.

·
864 Posts
sounds like possible a bad solenoid.. if you revert your truck back to stock settings from the sct does this still happen? When you downloaded your sct did you follow the necessary steps to figure out your .
yeah rev per mile is perfect for just having it in drive, only in tow/haul does it act up. I thought maybe it was in TCM/ECM so I had PHP reflash an had no difference. Also when act in stock it still does it. I replaced 1 solenoid a while back seeing if that would take care of it, but no luck. All ford guys didn't know if there was a solenoid that would affect tow/haul or not. I can't remember which solenoid it was, was the worst one to get too though and it was adjustable.
Is there a way to check solenoids, I also have a delay when putting truck into any gear from park or neutral, Other than that once in drive it runs like raped ape an shifts perfect. Thanks Bill for your help, any all all info on this is appreciative.

·
789 Posts
I was very anal about servicing it every 50k, fluid and both filters.

It failed after 6 hrs of plowing snow. Supposedly a snap ring broke in the tranny. I'm sorry if thats sounds lame, I don't know that much about em.
No I don't have gauges, I know chew my ***. I have been wanting to get an edge insight to monitor everything.
Read your manual. Every 30,000 is the maintenance period and if I was plowing I might cut that in half.

·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks !, You are right I thought they were 60k intervals

1 - 20 of 20 Posts