The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was rotating my tires and while breaking the lugs loose I actually broke two lugs on the rear. My question is how do you remove the drum without special tooling...Does it call for a hammer because thats where I'm headed.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
bad_cummins said:
The other day I was rotating my tires and while breaking the lugs loose I actually broke two lugs on the rear. My question is how do you remove the drum without special tooling...Does it call for a hammer because thats where I'm headed.
Back the shoe adjustment and it should slide off...

If the drum should get tighter (or won't move) you know you going the wrong way...:damnit

·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i backed the brakes off and I still cant get it to move...It never budged? Got any other ideas...this is starting to irritate me. Trucks been down for 3 days and I am shooting in the dark...Man I really need to get a service manual for this thing.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Last trick...

Jack up the truck and put it on block in the rear and block the front axle from roling good... Then pull the tires off. Then take the lug nuts and thread them back on. Not tight mind you... Then start the truck and put in to a forward gear. Get a bit of speed and then mash on the brakes... The rear drums should pop loose. But the lugs will keep it from flying...

I don't like this method but it does work if done right... Becareful!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts