The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My outer tires are wearing considerably more then my inners. Is this going to be a pressure issue? Should I get a equalizer for the rear tires to assure pressure is exactly the same from the inner to the outer?

I just hit 90k and 50% of that is towing. The outers are worn to the replacement nubs, but the inners still have near 25% tread left. I figure I could save the inners and use them on the front when the fronts need replacement.

FWIW its all highway miles.

·
176 Posts
I have a similar issue with my '08 350. This is my first dually so I' not exactly sure what to expect. I keep an eye on the PSI but somehow the outter tires are wearing more then the inside pair.

I just turned 66k on mine and about 85% of that is towing 13,500 lb so I'm not complaining about the tires just stating it's a little odd that's all. I think they'll last about 8-10k before I replace them so 70-75k on a set of tires is fine by me. Oh yea, I've also done just a couple burnouts at the track :).

Maybe the uneven tire wear is normal for a dually.....

Gerry

·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i felt the inners could get another 20-30k, i saved them for the front. I just wondered if anyone knew anything, im far from complaining lol

·
395 Posts
i'll be lucky to get 40,000

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
All duallys wear the outer tires faster. The best conclusion I can come up with is when turning the outer tire turns faster then the inner and it scrubs more tread off. Next time you see a dually making a tight turn, watch the rear outer tires and you will see what I'm talking about.

·
Former chevy guy
25 Posts
While I believe that is true, when making that turn the very innermost tire (which would be and outer tire) is turning faster than it's inside mate. So they should all wear the same.

·
750 Posts
i think maybe cause the inside is on a steal wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts