The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I'm new to this forum. I have an '83 International dump that I've owened since new. It has a 210HP DT 466. It was originally a single axle with a 5X2, but I lenthened the chassis and converted it to a tandem and changed the trans to a 6613 Fuller. Recently I have changed it back to a singe axle, but left the fuller in place, and inframed the engine. I would like to increase the power, and have read the articles on boosting the fuel and timming. I believe my International dealer gave me the wrong injectors when I did the engine, because it seems to run out of power over 2000 rpm. I have checked all the usual suspects, air, fuel etc., and all are ok. It has never in it's life used a drop of oil, and still doesn't. It used to blow around 20% on the opacity test and now blows 2%. The new injectors have a different part# than the originals, and I don't have any kind words for the parts guy at Deluxes Sales. I'm thinking I would like to put the 230 HP injectors in, but the International dealer won't even look them up for me without a VIN. Of course my VIN won't show what I want so I'm stuck. Does anyone Know the part# for these injectors, or have a better recomondation? Thanks Donn

·
590 Posts
if you have an 83 model, then you have the rotrary pump style engine. there are likely no factory made 230hp injectors available from the dealer. 210 was the highest hp rotary pump engine i know of, i have heard rumor of a 220 hp. does your engine indeed have a rotary style pump? you might try getting injectors for a latter style engine, with the inline pump. higher hp rateings were optional, with inline pump engines. make for certain the injectors will cross over to your application however. also, i'am not sure 20hp would justify needing different style injectors...

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
navistar45 said:
if you have an 83 model, then you have the rotrary pump style engine. there are likely no factory made 230hp injectors available from the dealer. 210 was the highest hp rotary pump engine i know of, i have heard rumor of a 220 hp. does your engine indeed have a rotary style pump? you might try getting injectors for a latter style engine, with the inline pump. higher hp rateings were optional, with inline pump engines. make for certain the injectors will cross over to your application however. also, i'am not sure 20hp would justify needing different style injectors...
I'm showing 210HP as the highest rating for '83, too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. My engine doesn't have a rotory pump. it has the one shown in the aticle on boosting fuel. Yes I think 210 was the highest HP for an '83, but I want more. I can't believe it's hopeless. Donn

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
It's not hopeless. Pro tractor pull guys are making 2000HP with DT 466s from Scheids & Hypermax. It's just that there's no "mild" mods for them that you can use on the street and still pull a load.. What you have to understand is that if this is an everyday DT466 used for work, that it was designed for longevity-low EGT's, cylinder pressures and the like. Once you turn up the fuel & power on it, you turn down the reliability and longevity.

What other medium duty diesels do you know of from 1983 that have a lot of power mods available? Pretty much none. The 5.9L Cummins is the lucky one since it's used in pickups, it has been extensively modified.

Put an extensively modified 5.9L in a medium duty truck and put 8 tons on the back and then see how long it lasts.

If someone would have made mods for the DT466 mechanical diesels about 10-15 yrs ago, they would have made a fortune. I've never seen so many people ask so many times how to modify them for 50-150 more HP.

·
590 Posts
as mentioned, it's not hopeless. if your truck does indeed have the inline style pump[ i was sure they started in 84'] then simply bump up your fuel setting. get a pyro first however, all my 210hp 466 engine's average 900 degree's max, hard loaded, no intercooler. so bumping the fuel a bit shouldnt be an issue. if your the sole driver, go for it. i have thought of doing this on my tandem, but with other folks sometimes driveing it, i declined the thought. they will keep it pinned to the floor, wether it's 210hp, or 275hp. not worth wearing it out sooner, or chance cracking a piston. the truck may not get the load there as fast as the big boy's do, but the beauty of the little 466, it gets the load there. you seldom have to work on them.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
The problem with the DT466 pumps is they're built with very small plunger & barrel assemblies, so the pumps on them are very limited in terms of how much fuel they can move. From what i'm hearing from the experts, it's hard to get more than 300HP worth of fuel from an MWM Bosch pump. If you want a ton of HP, you have to get a different custom pump. You're looking at close to $5,000 for one through the big names. Then you need new 'jectors and a turbo to match it. Then what will you use for a driveline?

That's why there's so few MD trucks out there with huge numbers, like the diesel pickups have.

IMO, the best thing to do with the older mechanicals is get the highest HP reman pump you can get thru IH and match a turbo & injectors to it. Or if you're on a budget, just tweak your pump that came with your truck as best you can.

I'm hoping I might have found a way to get more fuel from these pumps. I'll share as soon as I know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I reseached injectors, and what I was told by several people was that they are all pretty much the same size. The difference is in the tips and spray patterns done to make diffrent truck configuations work smoother. So, I called Scheid's and they recomeneded turning up the pump and going for the next size turbo, plus an egt gauge. I turned up the pump, and it made a huge difference, but now it has some black smoke. The new turbo should clear some of that up. I can't believe I drove it for 25 years like it was. Donn

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
That's great that you were able to get a noticeable difference. There's not much "headroom" in these pumps for a lot more power.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts