The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all, 1st post here! May be a bit long but trying to provide as much info as I can.
Have a 2003 International 4300 with the DT466, 50k miles. Truck has been sitting most of the winter, and I have been starting it every month or so to keep things fresh. A month ago I started it, and let it idle as usual. Twice I checked on it and it was idling high, about 1500rpm. Tapped the gas and it went back down to 600rpm, which seemed low. Let it idle for a bit more, then shut off.
A few days ago, went to start it again. It sputtered for a second, then nothing. Cranks and cranks.
Batteries are fully charged (On a tender).
10 gal of fresh fuel were added.
Has fuel pressure at filter housing, and rail test port. I have tried hand pumping/bleeding fuel several times, dosen't appear to have air in fuel.
Oil level is full.
Builds oil pressure while cranking.
Warn engine appears on dash.
There is no smoke coming from the exhuast, and attempts to start with ether did nothing.

Any ideas where to start or what to look for?? I have a code reader on the way, to try and see what warn engine means..

Thanks for any help in advance

·
Registered
34 Posts
Check the cam sensor? Does the rpm gauge go up while cranking? I had a cheap store brand cam sensor cause a huge problem with mine.

Mine has a leaking injector harness o-ring, which after a period of time the oil runs down and finds its way into the ICP sensor, which caused a crank no start issue, check all the common sensor connections and check for oil contamination.

Does the 4300 have the engine diagnostics button like the 4700/4900’s? If so you can pull codes that way. What code reader do you coming? If you have a laptop You can now get the old international diagnostic software, Servicemaxx for free, you just need to buy the cable, I think I paid 200 or 300 for mine- that could be very helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, the outside temp was rather cold when I first posted (20F), but it is currently 50-60F outside and it still won't start. Seems the injectors are not doing anything.. No smoke out the exhuast.

Yes, the rpms do show while cranking.

Where excatly would the ICP sensor be?

I have checked all the fuses in box by drivers fender, and swapped relays around. Are there any other relevant fuses to check?

I'm still waiting on the code reader to come in, it's a Nexus NL102 OBD/EOBD. I'll post the codes once I get it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the replies, the outside temp was rather cold when I first posted (20F), but it is currently 50-60F outside and it still won't start. Seems the injectors are not doing anything.. No smoke out the exhuast.

Yes, the rpms do show while cranking.

Where excatly would the ICP sensor be?

I have checked all the fuses in box by drivers fender, and swapped relays around. Are there any other relevant fuses to check?

I'm still waiting on the code reader to come in, it's a Nexus NL102 OBD/EOBD. I'll post the codes once I get it.
Check to see if the nexus reader you have is compatible with ServiceMaxx j1708 software - if so, then go down load servicemaxx - it’s free. I also got the old International Service Information System (ISIS) on a cd from eBay a few years ago for like 10 or 20 bucks - it’s the international service manual for everything and it’s absolutely amazing! It gives step by step for diagnostics of no starts. Diesel laptops also has some free software as well, including trouble code info.

Anyway, I’m not that familiar with the 4300, but on the 4700 the ecm relay and starter relay are mounted under the hood on the firewall in the center above the motor. Mine were wore out and I ended up swapping them back and forth until getting two new ones, so try swapping the ecm relay with another one. Also there is another group of relays on the passenger side behind the plastic panel, above where the glove box would be if it had a glove box. The panel just pops off on the 4300 IIRC, the 4700 have three small screws at the bottom, so check for screws first but I’m pretty sure on the 4300 they just pop off. There is also a fuse on the positive battery terminal in the box as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update! The truck is running now! So the code reader finally came in over the weekend. With it plugged in, it was showing several open circuit codes, with one mentioning the battery. Turns out, there are two 40amp fuses in the battery tray, and one was blown. I'm assuming this one controls ICP. Anyways, replaced it and the truck fired right up. I'm thinking cranking the truck over in cold temps with low batterys may have blown it, we'll see if it happens again.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update! The truck is running now! So the code reader finally came in over the weekend. With it plugged in, it was showing several open circuit codes, with one mentioning the battery. Turns out, there are two 40amp fuses in the battery tray, and one was blown. I'm assuming this one controls ICP. Anyways, replaced it and the truck fired right up. I'm thinking cranking the truck over in cold temps with low batterys may have blown it, we'll see if it happens again.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks!

Exactly where are those fuses in the battery tray?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Exactly where are those fuses in the battery tray?

Please reply to - [email protected]

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good morning all, 1st post here! May be a bit long but trying to provide as much info as I can.
Have a 2003 International 4300 with the DT466, 50k miles. Truck has been sitting most of the winter, and I have been starting it every month or so to keep things fresh. A month ago I started it, and let it idle as usual. Twice I checked on it and it was idling high, about 1500rpm. Tapped the gas and it went back down to 600rpm, which seemed low. Let it idle for a bit more, then shut off.
A few days ago, went to start it again. It sputtered for a second, then nothing. Cranks and cranks.
Batteries are fully charged (On a tender).
10 gal of fresh fuel were added.
Has fuel pressure at filter housing, and rail test port. I have tried hand pumping/bleeding fuel several times, dosen't appear to have air in fuel.
Oil level is full.
Builds oil pressure while cranking.
Warn engine appears on dash.
There is no smoke coming from the exhuast, and attempts to start with ether did nothing.

Any ideas where to start or what to look for?? I have a code reader on the way, to try and see what warn engine means..

Thanks for any help in advance
you need 2 people sprayeither in the carbrater and turn the keycranking it and when it starts slowly you give it gas stop spraying either keep on the gas because it could release any left over dirt in the fuel line and if it tries to die give it gas and dont let off

1 - 11 of 11 Posts