The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on a '92 dt466 between the #2 and #3 exhaust port I found a dark line of what looks like soot or smoke stain on the head
behind the manifold it runs vertical about 9"L. and 1.5"w
Is there a gasket in the joint connecting the manifold,and can I just remove the front sec.or best to remove entire exhaust.thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Best to remove the whole manifold, then try to separate it. There is no gasket in the slip joint. It's an interference fit. After you get it off, you'll see if it's just leaky, or cracked.

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like I might need to replace,can you replace part or is it best replace all three?? p.s you asked me a couple of weeks ago in another forum if I was going to keep it 195hp.( the dt466 3500hd swap).. I plan on looking you up for the tricks to get the most out of this '92.,right now I am working on getting t on the road to see if its got any legs.this truck sat for almost a year with questions if the motor was bad,after a mochanic replaced a blown turbo and could not get it to run,they wrote it of for dead... finally got it home mon. after the snow in ATL. cleared up..it took me all of 45min. to get it poppin.and what a wonderful pop it makes.right now Im working all the bugs out ,I got a real good deal on this truck ,and I want to make sure what I have before I change anything. but more hp. is a definite....thanks again.:coal

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
If one's cracked, than it would make sense to replace the whole shebang. Yep, it'll wake up real good with a few adjustments. Setting the timing is much easier on these, vs the newer ones(93-97).

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats the new holland engine?? not heard alot about it.
But im a big fan new holland ,should be a unique truck.
how far are you on the planning, or have you started.
how much smaller is that engine vs. dt466.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
The tricky part is it's longer than what I thought the measurements were. It's going to have to go into the cab a few inches just like when I was doing the 466 in a Super Duty. I have a big laundry list of stuff I still need before I even rip out the 300. It's getting F250 spindles with 12.5" rotors, a Sterling rear(may do disc swap), sway bars front & rear, hydrobooost, Allison AT545, power steering, front air bags, a few rattle cans of Ford light blue, and tubing, hoses, sheetmetal, and plate steel. Just what I can think of off the top of my head.
Size difference:
a 466 is 1" longer, and 4" taller. Width doesnt really count when both an SAE adapter out back. It's around 1100 pounds, maybe a little less.
A DT360 would have fit much better, but the fords have that Ford oval logo on em. Just a little touch of class when it stomps the Cummins & Duramax boys(maybe not all of em). I just have to get the timing up where I want it, the rebuilder set it to 7.5*, and I cant have that.
The theme behind it all? A truck that does it all. Goes good, stops good, handles good, MPG is good, and still can haul stuff.

I was actually hoping it had the older style injector pump(like yours), but I'm not complaining at all that it has a P-pump.

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah I know about the long list of stuff,one option I have is a
complete '78 chevy crew drw. 2wd. minus motor that I picked up for a song.thats how I got to looking for the dt466
and ended up getting a complete 4900 for less than the core
on the dt466.as far as going into the cab,I think it would make it all work in better at the rad. and cooler.if I go with the chevy crew Im thinking I would use the 4900 firewall and dog house to make it easier and look finished in the cab.
the area under the dash at the trans tunnel is mostly wasted
space unless you have a transfer case shifter coming up the
floor. what axle are using up frnt. ifs. or drop I beam?:toytruck

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Stock Ibeams. Not going to lower it. Maybe some day when funds(overtime) get better.

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah I wish the chevy I have didnt have that big crossmember in the way,kinda thinking about a p30 front
axle and springs but lots to studdy on...

·
183 Posts
I've driven that Ford diesel in a L 8000 dump truck,[Ex Conway tractor] hauling 8 tons crush stone with 6 speed Spicer trans .I was impressed with it,rated 240 HP,I believe .

I thought DT 360 and DT 466 shared same external dimensions .

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
240hp would be the 7.8 Ford, but basically a lot of the same parts as a 6.6

The 360 is a shorter deck height than the 466.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts